1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is my best speed to burn my backups?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Homer_89, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Homer_89

Homer_89 Guest

Hello,

I have burnt around 20 backups at 1x and they all are working fine.
    However, they take well around an hour to finish with the burning.

I always use Verbatim 16X DVD-R media and I always burn at 1x because I have been told that that is the best speed for burning backups.

My DVD burner is a MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-820S. It came integrated with my laptop and it only can burn up to 2.4x. However, when I insert the Verbatim media, I only get the option of 2x and 1x with Nero 7.5.

My question is, depending of my circumstances, should I move up to 2x, and burn my backups at 2x? Or, should I stick with 1x and keep burning at that speed?

Thanks.

2. orthogonl

orthogonl Regular member

Hello Homer_89,

I'd say burn at whatever speed gives you the best results; burning 1x is as you said, very slow, if 2x works perfectly fine, then by all means burn at that speed instead.

Normally, if you had a burner capable of higher write speeds, I'd recommend 4x or half the max of speed of your media, 8x.

You're using good media, so you've got that base covered. Regarding your burner, it is important that your drives firmware is up-to-date. New versions add support for newer media and improve compatibility / burn quality with existing ones. Additionally, there's the new features and bug fixes you'd expect with any bit of software (which is basically what firmware is).

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007