1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is RIPLOCK?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by steve7777, Apr 5, 2005.

1. steve7777

steve7777 Member

I'm sure that most most of you have heard of these people:
    http://tdb.rpc1.org/

I have been backing up DVD's for a while and wish to increase performace. If I understand correctly, upgrading my firware to the "riplock" version will allow my drives to read DVD's faster

Is this true? And more importantly: can it hurt the drive? I currently have 2 Nec burners: ND-6500A and ND-3500AG. Normally, I use a combination of AnyDVD with Nero Recode to make my backups. I hit during encoding and analysis, I hit anywhere between 85fps (on the very low end) to 300 (on the high end) fps. I probably average 160fps. (1hour to complete movie only backup) DMA on, P4 @3.06 Ghz and 512 MB ram. (Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop)

I have been reading forums across the web and have not found the use of the "riplock" feature. As it is currently configured, I have the latest stock versions of the firmware that are on the Dangerous Brothers website.

Thank you for your time and expertise, I really apprectiate it.

Regards,

steve7777

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

you managed to get the firmware in then?

ok riplock is in new drive on default to keep to 1/2x rip, there are firmwares to take this out! not sure if hacked ones or real ones?

3. steve7777

steve7777 Member

Sorry Rotary for not keeping everybody updated... I did sucessfully make a DL data disk with my ND-6500 drive but my ND-3500 drive hangs at 100% in Nero. In any case I only need one burner that works with DL media anyway.

I want to know if the cracked/hacked firmware offered by the dangerous brothers is worth it. I am not interested in that reigon free stuff so really I want extra speed.

As is I have the stock 2.23 in my ND-6500 and 2.18 in my ND-3500.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

steve7777

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

not sure what its capable of but have a read up on the site...

5. steve7777

steve7777 Member

So, has anybody had any success with cracked firmware?? As mentionned I have 2DVD burners, and would use cracked firmware on one of the 2. I don't care about the extra noise (apparently there is some because the Drive spins faster.)

So [bold]should I go for it?[/bold]

Regards,

steve7777

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

both my pioneer 106 and my samsung have region free / burn 1xto2x for all etc hacked firmware!

all firmwares are different in files and procedure to load them!

[bold]ITS ALL DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!![/bold]

7. ispy

ispy Regular member

I,ve flashed a NEC 2500>2510 to enable -R burns
    also Gradius FW for my Pioneer 108D rips @ 12x now
    Flashed Pioneer 109D > A09 to use Quiet drive Utility as well
    by removing the riplock will cut your rip/burn times,Just remember to keep your burn speeds to 4x max for less errors.

8. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

Riplock is yet another 'wonderful protection scheme ' per say forced upon DVDRom/DVD burner makers by Hollywood and its croonies the MPAA.. as already been stated the purpose of Riplock is to limit how fast your DVDROM/DVD Burner is capable of ripping (reading DVDs)

so to answer your question : yes the NEC3500 AG hacked firmware is worth it! I scrapped the oringal firmware for the Dangerous Brothers firmware almost 6 months ago and never had any problems with my NEC afterwards.. But the NEC stills rips slower than my Lite-On SOHD167T which isnt unexpected as since DVDROMs have almost always read DVD/CDs faster than their burner counterparts.

BTW: Pay attetion to th directions when attempting to flash/upgrade your DVDburner firmware ; one mistake can 'kill' your burner.. I found this out the hard way :(

9. YOBUZZB

YOBUZZB Regular member

Update the firmware dude, you'll be glad you did!

Follow the advice given from Sad, follow the directions and you should be fine.

10. steve7777

steve7777 Member

Ok, so here's what I will do. I will flash one of my drives with the Dangerous brothers firmware and will repost back to give the full detail of what happened.

Regards,

steve7777

11. ispy

ispy Regular member

12. steve7777

steve7777 Member

I patched my ND-3500A with the riplock firmware from the dagngerous brothers. Everything seems to work fine. I haven't had the occasion to do any backups of movies, so I really don't know if their has been any prefromance improvements...

[bold]Is their a way to check if the "riplock" was effectively removed?[/bold]

Regards,

steve7777

PS. I did check Herries page but there was no firmware up for grabs. I'll stick with what seems to be the more common, TBD firmwares.

13. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

if you new what speeds you ripped at before, then you can see what you rip at now!

just bung any original dvd9 size in dvdrom drive and rip it!

14. steve7777

steve7777 Member

Rotary
    Yeah I figured that much. Would there be another way though?

15. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

i use dvd decruytpter and watch the rip speed time in the log window...

not sure really i only sort of take note of rip times in a passing glance as long as it aint hours etc....

16. Timm129

Timm129 Member

Hello
    I have a NEC 3500ag. Get the hacked firmware from Liggys site. It works great at least for me. It also speeds up the burning without any problems (so far)

Timm