1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHAT IS SENSE KEY=MEDIUM ERROR!?!?

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by FPJ, Jan 29, 2005.

1. FPJ

FPJ Guest

Ok I'm really stressed out now, since I have got this new Lacie DVD burner, I have had nothing but problems!! First of all every project I burned from FCP had these ghost like trails, (supposedly due to bad compression) then I find the DVD burner does not work with DVD studio pro OR IDVD!!
    and now when I'm trying to burn another FCP project, (after waiting 4 hours for it to encode) I get this message that says--

The drive reported an error
    Sense Key = Medium Error
    Sense Code = 0X73, 0X03

and then it says failed to burn to disc!!!
    does anybody know what this is??

2. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Calm down. You are going to be ok. First, you are trying to burn media that is probably not compatible with your burner. Try a different brand. Pick up a couple of singles of different brands and try them out.

2nd. You can use dvd studio pro and "build dvd" and not build and burn. When you just build it, you'll have a folder on your HD which is basically your dvd. Then use TOAST in dvd/udf mode to burn it and you'll be fine. Toast WILL see your burner even though idvd or dvdsp don't.

If you don't have toast it's cheap.

3. FPJ

FPJ Guest

Thank You mediaguru...

4. ggushee

ggushee Member

I am so frustrated.....I get the same error message......I am trying to burn a DVD on my external Cyclone REvo Superdrive.....I have tried both idvd & Toast....the burner reads, encodes, fills cache and starts to "write Lead-Out" and then it ejects the disk???? I can burn Cd's...perfect, but I have yet to burn a DVD.....Disk Utility, Preferences everything says ok....Newest firmware 2.0 Toast 6.....I even tried 1x,2x,8x disc.....no 4x yet......DVD' both Memorex & Sony.....Cd's are Imation.....Maybe I should go buy some Imation 4x??? Do you have any ideas???? My DVD is connected via Firewire......could this be an issue?? Maybe firmware would work better via a USB connection.....Please Help??? Gordon

5. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Go buy 3-4 different single brands and try them. Try to find some Ritek if you can.

6. FPJ

FPJ Guest

I think I got my problem figured out... So maybe I can help you.. First of all what are you trying to burn?
    because the company that I bought my burner from told me that if I were to burn FCP projects I need to get an internal burner...?
    But the thing that was stopping me from burning.... this is funny..... is because while it's encoding, and caching, it takes quite a while, and my computer would go into stand by mode... therefor it wouldn't burn properly...... I changed standby (or sleep?) to never, and it worked fine......

7. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Whoever told you that you could only burn FCP projects with an internal burner is an idiot.

Yes, you don't want your computer going to sleep or standby mode when you are burning!

8. ggushee

ggushee Member

I amjust trying to burn a DVD.....First, the burner does burn my Imation Cd's, so Cd's aren't an issue.....But using idvd or Toast 6....whether trying to burn Data, Video/Pictures...the same thing happens when burning a DVD.....the burner will read, encode, filling cache and then starts to "write lead-out" and then the disk ejects.....Another thing.....The machine was purchased at MacMall 18 months ago ($618.00) and now it is old.....as it is only a 1x/2x machine.....The DVD's I have tried are cheap 1x disks and Sony & Memorex 8x disks......so perhaps it is the DVD media?????? Oddly, the cd's that have burned on this unit were made by Imation (which someone said is a good brand).....So, before I go to the store.....I do have the current firmware 2.0 upgrade installed so I guess I should go and buy TOP BRAND 4X DVD-R's......and try to burn again.....Is this a correct thought! Gordon

9. ggushee

ggushee Member

AND.......I just went into System Preferences and turn off the "Put the display and hard drive to sleep whenever possible?" Thanks.....

10. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Just because the CDs of a particular brand burns fine doesn't mean the dvd's should. They are most likely not made in the same factory. Many companies OEM products back and forth.

11. ggushee

ggushee Member

Thanks Mediaguru on the Cd/DVD info.....Well I just tried to burn Maxell 4x (1x-4x) and for the first time.....when it reached that "write Lead-in - Lead out portion".....the burner sounded like it was trying to write....a few seconds.....the burner has never gone this far before ejecting.......then it did stop with the following error message:
    Sense Key = Medium Error
    Sense Code = 0x0C
    WRITE ERROR (I haven't had this error before)

I purchased the 4x Maxells at Staples.....Office Depot had nothing...Sony & Memorex..........

Do you think I should now go to CompUSa (1/2 hr. drive) and purchase 4x Verbatim or Imation....or since my machine is really only a 2x I shoud find Verbatim or Imation 2x......or maybe after all of this there might exist LASER DAMAGE....which is why it isn't writing?????? I am so frustrated.....Gordon

12. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

I find it hard to believe that so many brands won't work with your burner. Usually I'd say you would have 7 or 8 out of 10 that WILL work on average.

I'd look into a new burner.

13. ggushee

ggushee Member

I am suicidal!!!! I decided to take oyur advice and look for another DVD Burner......I am only wanting the burner because I created this movie in celebration of my parents upcoming anniversary.....so it really is just a one time thing....so I decided last night to go back and work on my imovie project.....I also recently completed pulling .mov clips using DVDxdv and imported them (45 of them) into imovie (the clip section).....I then added one of the clips to my project....looked good..saved and exited.....this morning I went to open imovie....and it says CAN NOT OPEN IMOVE - IT IS DAMAGED OR INCOMPLETE....but I can open fine: itunes, idvd & iphoto...I ran Norton's on my computer and all is fine and any minor things were fixed and optimized.......again everything on my computer works great......NOW, I originally had imovie 3.......and then purchased ilife 4.....and couldn't install because idvd required a 733 processor and I have a 550....but I have toast 6......so I just opened the install box, highlighted the icon and then went up under file to "Show Original" and installed imovie 4.........Can I drag the current imovie application into the trash and try to do the same install again with imovie 4....???? I am so lost and close to tears.....

14. AOTT

AOTT Member

Sounds like you have a corrupt Project File or possibly corrupt Media.
    Do this:
    create a new project and re-import all your media and ouput it and see if the problem persists.
    If it does, your media might be corrupt,
    and the only option left might be to recapture your media again.
    If that's the case then your Project file with all your edits is fine, just re-import Media back into a new Project.
    Also, valuable digital assets such Video or Music should not be burned any faster than 2X just to be safe as faster speeds may cause Write and later Read Errors in your CD's or DVD's.
    Also very important:
    make sure you go for DVD-R as oppose to DVD+R Media.
    DVD-R have been around the longest and thus have a higher compatability with Record and Playback devices.
    Hope this helps.

15. ggushee

ggushee Member

Hey AOTT, if I was close to tears theo ther day, well I am crying now......I downloaded OSX.3.8 this morning...double clicked the .dmg icon creating a OSX.3.8 folder and then like a fool I restarted my computer without installing or ejcting the .dmg & folder.....as the computer started up, the grey page appeared with the pin wheel spinning and thats where my computer is at....the little pin wheel keeps spinning and spinning......I hooked it up to an emac via firewire,,,,,and then using emac's tech tools Pro 4.......proceeded to do everything tech tools offers and the unit still won't pwer-up completely.....of course I can't find the original system disc.....but every other operating system disk back to my origina MAC se30?? Bit whilst the machine was hooked up via firewire I tried to open my imovie and the QT files are gone and the ,mov version won't open because it is missing a fade-in file....I did try to open imovie as a new project and did see the medai files which included everything audio, pics, fades, etc.....do I just import this......where does it all go...do I break it down into pics audio, etc.....where do I import it too.....clips audio.pics...where>>>>and then what.....PLEASE PLEASE take a moment and give a NEWBIE a step by step on how to recover this.....The movie is a Anniversary film for my parents next week....Great timing.......Thanks Gordon

16. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Good grief! For one thing, I would NEVER update the OS during a project. Wait til there is nothing else on your plate.

Are you doing all of this video stuff on the same drive as your system? Not a good idea.

17. AOTT

AOTT Member

Hello ggushee, as your letter stated,
    "I did try to open imovie as a new project and did see the medai files which included everything audio, pics, fades, etc.....do I just import this......"

Yes import everything.

"where does it all go...do I break it down into pics audio, etc.....where do I import it too.....clips audio.pics...where>>>>and then what..."

Treat all media just like if it was the original Project file.

As for your Computer Problem:
    As Mediaguru mentioned, "NEVER update the OS during a project".

Updating your OS using "Software Update' has caused many a Kernel Panic to occur inadvertently.
    a trip to your Local Apple Store, "Genius Bar" will verify this even if the Guy behind the counter plays dumb.
    I have been in the Apple Store several times when this has happened to Home Users.
    It has happened to many of my Post Production clients as well.
    In the Post Production Industry we have a saying," If it ain't broke,don't fix it", to avoid scenarios such as this.

You Must get your hands on a Panther Installation CD if you don't want to loose all your files.
    DO This:
    Boot with Panther and go thru the dialog boxes and prompts just like a regular installation But READ CAREFULLY:
    "when it gets to the part where it asks if you want to completely erase your drive or KEEP ALL YOUR SETTINGS just like if you were just doing an upgrade, choose KEEP ALL SETTINGS.

Choose that option otherwise ALL YOUR FILES will be gone.
    What you are doing basically is replacing the needed operating system components that have cause this Kernel Panic that your computer is currently in.
    The procedure just described will take your system back to 10.3 but it should get you back in the game so that you can complete you Labor of Love.
    As a lesson learned, using Software Updates under ANY Operating System or Computing Platform has the potential to cause problems such as these so:
    Always backup to removable media ALL you important files before doing ANY KIND of Update or Upgrade.
    Once your computer is up and running, try my suggestions as stated earlier.
    That should solve your Dilemma.
    I'll keep monitoring this thread till your situation is resolved.
    Hope this has helped you.
    PEACE

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  18. jshaw9783

jshaw9783 Member

ive recently had problems with my Tsstcorp TS-H552b dvd burner with the newest firmware update. The DVD will appear to finish correctly but when played on my RCA DRC233N standalone player the movie will start to skip 3/4 of the way through the movie. I use ImgTool to burn the dvd. I also use cheap DVD-RS. Although I dont believe that is the problem becuase ive got 70+ good burns with the same discs. Also when played on my PC the dvd doesnt skip. Although when verfiying after a recent burn read errors were present. This problem just started with the last 5-8 burns. Any suggestions would be great. Ive looked for a new firmware update for my stand-alone but I havent been able to locate any.

19. vantrells

vantrells Member

im at work so i cant check, but i think i have the same drive as you and haven't had any problems with it. i bought my drive through clubmac as a "fantom" drive, but toast sees it as tsstcorp...etc. on your rca standalone, have you played disks that you've burned with the same setup and just lately its acting goofy? i have had people with really old dvd players not be able to play my movies. (i give them a copy instead of an original) i have read that people have gotten giant stacks of media and for some odd reason one pack works and another pack is coaster-prone. i haven't had a bad disk with the tiayo yuden media that i bought from supermediastore.com

also just for fun see if you can try out the same disks that skip on a few different players (go to a friends house).

20. grrhmm

grrhmm Member

how is everyone doing with their sense errors?
    Seems to have got sidetracked with video / the wrong DVD/CD brand (I don't think this anything to do with it!) and 'old' systems etc.
    I have an anglepoise imac and that succumbed to sense errors and now cannot write anything. Today my titanium powerbook 17" has gone the same way. Both worked fine for years. Both use OSX. (I presume this is a Mac - based site, but have only just joined and can't find any real pointers...?).
    I will be phoning apple now (PBK17" still under warranty) and see what happens.
    But sympathise with those with the problem... I thought the burner was defunct and needs replacing, but maybe there is a fix-it.