1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Is So Good About Linux?

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by RoBRuLeZ, Jan 22, 2009.

1. varnull

varnull Guest

xp hasn't crashed once in 5 years??... now you are proved to be talking out of your ass XD

You know you lose in here.. every single time...

creaky ban this twat before I start having a go at the advertisers over the sony troll moderators on the team... just like last time hahahaha.

PPA.. hitting AD in the wallet.. the only place it makes a mark :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2009
  2. RoBRuLeZ

RoBRuLeZ Member

What a sad pathetic fool you are. Get your facts straight, who said anything about me having XP for "five years"? I'll have you know that my laptop came with Vista. I downgraded to XP because I prefer it and it is faster.

I haven't "lost" anything, I've simply stated my opinion and request others to state theirs as an open discussion and if that deserves a ban, then these forums aren't worth coming to anyway.

3. OzMick

OzMick Guest

4. RoBRuLeZ

RoBRuLeZ Member

That's a good article. I agree with what they wrote. Vista was a disaster, which is why I still use XP. The usability of Office 2007 suits my needs but others may say otherwise. As far as Microsoft hitting rock bottom, I don't believe we'll see that in our lifetime. I think they will pick up when Windows 7 is released. Although, from what I've seen it looks just like Vista. Let's hope that's not the case.

5. varnull

varnull Guest

Just because you NEWBIE can and likes to gho back and edit your posts after people have replied does not give you the excuse to call people pathetic.. I will put money on the fact I was using and working around professional systems before you were even born... before gates and co came along.. when unix and it's variants were about all there was, unless you liked coding your own with fortran/cobol.

NEWBIE should check out how many posts and information provision it takes to get my status on these boards before mouthing off.. that's a right reserved for the nasty bastards like me XD

I clearly read (in your now edited post) how "I have been using xp for 5 years and it has never crashed once" .. so we have another troll here who needs screenshots of their posts taking before we answer. Actually I don't bother whey a rabid fanboy gets to that point.. I just get them banned instead XD

Carry on using your proprietary closed software and OS.. in fact please do, because I'm pretty sure the FOSS community doesn't want or need another M$ apologist cluttering up the discussion and help forums with their blinkered shit. Learn from history.. cbm/amiga used to have a 90% near monopoly of the home pc market... they thought they were set forever because of it.. cbm/amiga??.. who???
    Enjoy your 8 year obsolete OS now won't you.. I'm off to continue using my 4 week old linux.. hahahahahahahahahah

6. RoBRuLeZ

RoBRuLeZ Member

You are so full of shit and you don't even realize it. Get your facts straight. I never said anything about having XP for five years. I know this because I know what I type. I have more important things to do than to try to prove this to you. So you can continue to spend your time on an internet forum, trying to get "newbies" banned because they dislike Linux. As for me, I am done with this thread.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I'm not a diehard Linux (or any other OS) advocate like the others here :)
    No-one's being banned, using XP isn't in our Forum Rules.
    I'm a simple chap, and a firm believer in using the relevant tools for the job, ie i just use whatever software i want for whatever task it's needed for.
    At work that means Solaris and Linux, and a bit of Windows too. At home it's mainly XP as i don't like to bring my work home with me, i do use Linux at home but it's so easy to use that it's perfect as a tool to get other things done with (just as XP is).

To be honest i could care less about Open Standards or any other standards, it's just not something worth getting heated under the collar about, not in my little world anyways :)

Basically i'm just not the typical *nix person i'm afraid, so no strong opinions for and against most things from the creakster.

Talking of Microsoft annoyances I did have to buy a newer version of Outlook due to some old important emails being 'stuck' in an older version. A pain at first, it was just a case of finding a cheap version (Outlook wasn't my choice, but my firm's choice). I only needed access to the emails for reference, i have zero interest in using Outlook in the future, unless it's foisted on me again.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Why are you done with this thread,you came in here wanting a fight & you got one..lmao..Just because you tried ubuntu for how many seconds does'nt make it not as good as xp ,unitll you have used linux continuously like you have with xp then any comments you make are based on ignorance,come back after a year.nough said i'm done with this bampot

9. ktulu14

ktulu14 Regular member

OK, i have only posted some pics that i had lurkin on the net, however here i go on a *nix/xp rant.......

what is the most used system on the net........linux -- why? Almost ALL the servers on the net are run on linux (cannot verify the variant, but linux is the base), i would guesstimate about 95% are running this. Shit, even my company, which runs windows on the desktop and on some client servers runs linux underneath it). I had the experience today of shista, i hope to * that i never get it again. where the * was everything?????? opened internet explorer..........where the * was the file menu????????????????? really cudnt be arsed lookin too closely, trying to get the damn wireless running (under a home hub which was an experience and a half, 2 foookin hours of my life wasted)

* it, i will stick with *nix for now and ever, windoze (new and old) can * till they sort it out properly (roll on the yr 2050 maybe)......................

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  10. varnull

varnull Guest

hahahaha.. hey scorp.. another toll dispatched to the dungheap that windoze trolls and M$ apologists end up on sooner or later.

Good riddance.. nick noted for further abuse when the shyster feels brave enough to prove their ignorance of everything somewhere else.

What a shame Dan packed it in.. I'm too nice these days, but I will not tolerate trolls making retard statements, then editing them after a reply is made... I would like to see AD instigate a time limit for edits.. like say 4 minutes like wordpress blogs or something.. that would kill off these trolls and fight pickers stone dead.

It seems to escape some morons notice that whining on about how "great" something is that we have already discarded as total crap is a rather pointless exercise in and of itself.. I hope the silly little c--t goes out into the street with that attitude.. If I ran across the prat they would have the double ignomy of getting their ass well and truly kicked by a girl.. in public too.. hahahahaha

That FYI is why we call it N00BUNTU.. noobs only OS .. same as windoze XD

11. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

Okay, let's get level heads here. I've used Ubuntu, but I do prefer XP and Office products, in comparison to Open Office. Open Office is a VERY good alternative, and if I had to use something other than Office, this would be my hands down choice. I like GIMP too, but prefer Paint.Net, albeit, once again, if Photoshop is not available.

Statements about "older" MS Office documents aren't necessarily true. First off, any moron who wouldn't save their sensitive data in RTF, or TXT format, well that's plain stupid. It's true that "some" older formats, such as MDI and Office 95 do not open in 2007 or 2003 SP3, but there are registry hacks to open up the functionality.

As for not being able to open 2007 files in anything other than 2007, well, that's a bold lie. MS makes a compatibility plugin for the older Office programs. Yes, I understand all of the open source arguments, and they are valid, but MS is not dumb enough to shut the door on consumers who have purchased their products, as they would fear the backlash.

Ugh, that story is awful. At my work, we BACKUP the paper documents in electronic form. The paper docs then go into a filing cabinet in a fireproof safe. Ever hear of don't put your eggs in one basket? (BTW, I'd hate to see what happened to the IT manager who drew up those "best practices" at NASA.)

As for Windows 7, it's a little more than "looking like Vista". It blows Vista out of the water in performance. In fact, I had it running on a P4 2.6 w/512mb of ram and that was going as swell as Ubuntu, and both were better performing than XP (believe it or not.) Of course, 7 is in beta, and always susceptible to the billions of viruses out there.

As for Ubuntu, it comes with stuff that I already love. In fact, it's a bit "too easy" to get up and running. I like to find software, learn to install and play around, but everything's already configured! Yeah, that's petty, but oh well. They do keep support fresh, as one of my laptops didn't have a wireless driver, and then in the next version, low and behold, it was working. HP and Intel also supply drivers, so compatibility is very good if you are running their hardware.

12. ktulu14

ktulu14 Regular member

I run N00buntu on my wee uns laptop, my main box runs debian sid, with no problems so far (after 4 months). Screw M$ and there closed source bolloX. 90% of the open source community will not write anything towards what they use (i am one of those, i cudn't program an onion), however, the 10% that do i have more respect than the arseholes that write for M$ and produce soooooooooo much shit for the world wide web (damn i h8 updates).

13. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

I didn't mention this in my last post, but you guys DO realize that the beloved Open Office is developed by Sun, right? Is Sun in business to NOT make profit?

Don't forget about Sparc systems, and Solaris, which was just recently made open (most of it) a few years back. And then there's Java, which is easily responsible for the scripts that bring about spyware and other junk on the web.

Now I'm not trying to pour gasoline on the fire here, everyone's entitled to an opinion. I just can't stand one-sided hate towards any product. Well, maybe Vista. ;-)

So, how do you guys feel about Mac OSX? It's the same base system, but it's obviously not open source, nor is it meant to run on anything outside of Apple hardware.

14. OzMick

OzMick Guest

Open source doesn't mean you can't make a buck. A number of high profile companies sponsor development of a number of projects, the point being that they can have an influence on the product. Besides, if you're saving tens of thousands of dollars by not having to upgrade MS Office, there is money left in the budget to sponsor such customization to fill in the gaps that you may need filled. The money is generated by selling support, the same way as Red Hat makes money from Linux. Regardless of the motivation, they are modifying GPL code, so it is accessible to all if it is a good innovation. So it is in fact in a lot of companies best interest to make a feature rich program that can fuel support sales. Everyone wins, everyone has access to the software obligation free, support is available and revenue is generated for further updates.

What is the point you are trying to make about JavaScript (which I believe you've confused with Java)? It has little to do with Java other than in name... I don't get what you're trying to achieve by listing all the other things Sun is involved in... They're open source, and they're opening more things up, and that is that a bad thing?! It is just proof that the open source philosophy is gathering momentum, and companies that get in on the ground floor now are setting themselves up for the future.

As for OSX, don't so much have an opinion. The *kernel* and other low level tools are based on BSD, and you *can* get access to it. http://www.opensource.apple.com/projects/darwin/6.0/release.html Everything else about the platform is closed. If someone wants to blow their hard owned on that overpriced shit that is their choice.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2009
  15. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

Best quote ever!

What I'm trying to say about Java, is that it can cause as many headaches in Windows as the OS itself. Appelets, scripts, etc. are all being designed for the web with this technology (much like Flash) so you're stuck with using it, which isn't necessarily a good thing.

For example, Java installs a update. It doesn't remove the "old" version of the software, nor upgrade over it. It is a seperate install. So you end up with 5-6 versions on a Windows box, all taking a good 100mb each. Small gripe, but here's the kicker: the old version is there for compatibility, but some apps that are designed on a specific version, will run with bugs or not at all, if a newer version is installed on that machine. You then have to remove all versions of the software, and reinstall the proper version, remembering to disable the auto-update feature, or else it will update within minutes! It's a headache, trust me.

Also, the caching feature of Java doesn't work well across profiles, so you must disable it, which may create a performance hit, depending on the application. I dislike the cache anyhow, since, like temp files, typical users don't know how to clear out the junk, and it piles up on the machine. It's also a typical haven for adware and crapware to hide on the machine.

Whew. So that's my point about Java. Great tech, but far from perfect. Just like Windows. Just like Linux. You win some, you lose some!

16. 1nsan3

1nsan3 Regular member

i I WISH SO BAD YOU HAD THIS AS A WALLPAPER FOR MY COMPUTER!!!! sweet image!!!!!!

17. varnull

varnull Guest

18. iamroot

iamroot Member

I've been running *nix for almost a decade and my most recent OS..... Ubuntu. Why? Convenience. It's based on debby so it's very stable. It comes pre-bundled with a ton of apps that I don't have to download.

Have you ever used Ubuntu? Just because it's easy to install doesn't mean it's garbage. My first distro was slackware (used for many years on my laptop) and the only thing I miss is runlevel 3.

Why is Ubuntu garbage/mainstream/NOOBuntu?

Not trying to start a fight or anything, just one tuxie asking another's opinion.

Thanks!

19. kk0425

kk0425 Member

I think its funny how the OP comes in here bashing *nix then nerd-rages when everybody proves to him how *nix is better.

I personally love the power of linux but I haven't had a good experience with it yet. My laptop's wireless won't work due to the broadcom chip, yes I tried ndiswrapper and fwcutter to no avail :(, and my desktop uses a SATA Optical drive so that makes it difficult to install since linux doesn't recognize it and I don't know how to make it show up.

I haven't given up yet though! Since I use it in college classes a lot I do get some exposure to it.

20. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

My experience with Linux has been and will continue to be, for a long while, experimental.

I primarily use Windows on my PC and at school, but I tinker with Ubuntu and other Linux distros in my free time. I'm eventually planning on moving completely to Linux, but to be honest, I doubt that'll be possible until EVERYONE switches over to Linux, IF they switch over. Or, at the very least, a large enough portion of the population switch over.

It's all about compatibility issues. I don't much care about any of that closed-source/open-source junk; problems like MS Word docs not opening right in OpenOffice is, to me, the same thing as BMP images not converting right to JPG, to PNG, etc. The same thing as AVI files not converting right to MPG, MP4, etc.

The original poster was ignorant in thinking that PowerPoint presentations not displaying right in OpenOffice was the fault of OpenOffice. That's like saying an AMD chip won't fit in an Intel motherboard and it's the Intel motherboard's fault. He obviously doesn't use computers enough.

But anyway. I should stop before I sound more and more like I don't know what I'm talking about.