1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the absolute full proof method?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mn949285, Feb 24, 2007.

1. mn949285

mn949285 Guest

Hello, I have a Sony DRX-710UL dual layer dvd burner and I'd like to know what is the best method for backing up my dvds. I don't want any compression, that's why I would like to put them on dual layered discs. Can you please send me links to guides and recommend me the best (easiest to use) software? I appreciate any advice.

2. taylor30

taylor30 Regular member

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I sure don't know why taylor30 would recommend CloneCD for backing up DVDs to dl media. That won't work. He probably meant CloneDVD. You would also need AnyDVD... A good method.

To do it for free, I recommend you first rip your movies with Ripit4me and then burn with ImgBurn.

This guide covers doing it with single layer DVDs. You should practice doing a few of those before spending a bunch of money on dl media and have problems. You only have to change a couple of things the guide mentions to do dl media.

Use only Verbatim dl media, everything else seems to have problems.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  4. mn949285

mn949285 Guest

i just tried using dvd decrypter with this guide:
    http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/TheGuides/Copying a Dual Layer DVD in DVD Decrypter.pdf

and got this error message:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/mn949285/error.jpg

please help me, i tried this method before, and backing a dvd onto a dl disc worked, but there was skipping, now i can't even get it to burn. this sucks because i've had this burner for a while now and yet to back up a dvd onto a dl disc successfully. however i have no problem with regular dvds.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2007
  5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

It could be your blank DVDs.
    You should be using Verbatim dl media. Are you?

And you need to stop using Decrypter to burn with and start using ImgBurn.
    ImgBurn is made by the same guy, Lightning_UK, that wrote DVD Decrypter. It is considered by many to be the best dl burning program available. Think of it as a much improved "burn only" version of DVD Decrypter.

Your Sony's firmware is seriously out of date, you have BY01 and the current is BYX5:

Download from here:

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1917

6. mn949285

mn949285 Guest

yea i'm using verbatim. i've tried downloading the firmware but i can't seem to install it! after i extract it, i click on the file and it shows a loading sign for like 2 seconds then nothing happens. what gives?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2007
  7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@mn949285,
    Although that is a great guide you are using (um, um) LOL I wouldn't recommend using it for the newer movies like the one you are backing up "The Departed" these are going to require a little more work. The sure proof way to do this would be this

1. Use RipIt4Me (make sure you do the whole DVD)
    2. Skip the part using DVD Shrink
    3. Burn with ImageBurn

Here are a couple more guides to help you
    Install RipIt4Me
    Using ripIt4Me

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  8. mn949285

mn949285 Guest

so anyone know how i go about installing the firmware? i think that is the problem. it's really making me frustrated!

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Here are the instructions for loading your firmware LINK
    And here is where to get your latest Firmware LINK