1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the acceptable compression percentage?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by cenozoite, Apr 5, 2005.

1. cenozoite

cenozoite Member

I am just wondering what the minimum acceptable compression % is for the main movie title, so as to produce a near lossless copy.

I recently used Shrink to produce a backup with the main movie at 60%, and while it was fine in most places, in scenes where the lighting was low it got very very bad and hard to see.

Is 60% just too low, or was my DVD+R just too crappy?

2. bardie

bardie Regular member

The less compression is the best way to go.
    On big screens you will notice easily that too much compression has been done, but on a small screen it's not too bad.
    I aim at 80% and no less, most of mine are in the 90% plus area and they are great on small and big screens.
    Sometimes you are lucky that you may get no compression at all if you just copy the main title and 5.1 sound.
    Hope this helps you.

3. juca39

juca39 Guest

Above 80% the outcome will be OK in most cases and with any software.
    Between 70% - 80% I always use deep analysis (shrink and nero).
    I will rip in two disks below 70%.
    Always get rid of all material that you may not use. I almost, every time, just rip the movie alone, deleting menus, extras and unwanted audio. That will help me to make room, so the compression rate will be better.

4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

If you have a big TV, you will definitely see the flaws more clearly. I use a 27", so I can get away with a lot there. I usually get the whole disc and have compressed down to 48% without noticing it too badly, but that was with the quality enhancements on and it still depends on the movie. The spots you'll most likely notice it the most are when it transitions from dark to bright and vice versa. I usually set the quality enhancements to sharp and I'm pretty satisfied.