1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best choice for DVD video: DVD-R or DVD+R?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by viliboy, Feb 15, 2003.

1. viliboy

viliboy Guest

I want to buy an DVD recorder, but I am a little confused. Please ask to these questions:

1. What is the best choice for DVD video: DVD-R or DVD+R?

2. If I choose DVD-R, how can I know if the burner make DVD-R General or DVD-R Authoring?

3. I want the burner especially for DVD video. The Sony DRU500 is the best choice or Pioneer DVR104/103 is enough?

Thank you.

2. FTPlayer

FTPlayer Member

I bought the Sony DRU500. I have a DVD player (Toshiba 4205) that does not support DVD+R. Of all my friends, only one of them has a stand alone player that supports +R. You can of course, still use +R for DATA.

My stand alone DVD player supports DVD-R and -RW.

I would suggest that you check the compatibility of your DVD player and make sure that your burner supports that format.

3. viliboy

viliboy Guest

Thx for your answer, but I'm still confused. Both DVD-R and DVD+R producers says that the format is compatible with 85% of the players. Does matter for DVD videos the -R or the +R?

4. Gran-Pa

Gran-Pa Member

One maker has just introduced a dvd writer that used both the plus and minus options, I think it Phillips.

5. viliboy

viliboy Guest

The maker is Sony, with DRU500

6. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

When speaking of DVD-Video:

For quality-wise, there's no difference. For burning, there's no difference. For amount of data you can fit on one disc, there's no difference. For price, DVD-R discs in UK cost appx £0.60 and DVD+R around £1.40 ($0.90 and $2.10) when you buy cheap brands. For compatibility, all modern players support generally speaking all formats.

7. viliboy

viliboy Guest

Thank you, this is one of the answers I expected. Can you answer to other question:

2. If I choose DVD-R, how can I know if the burner make DVD-R General or DVD-R Authoring?

3. I want the burner especially for DVD video. The Sony DRU500 is the best choice or Pioneer DVR104/103 is enough?

8. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

2. All drives that normal human being can afford, make DVDG discs, not DVDA.

3. If you're paranoid (about the standards war)or get a good deal for Sony, go with it. If you wish to get a damn good "minus" drive that costs $50-75 less than Sony, buy Pioneer A05/105 (only nag: it is picky with some crap DVD-R discs, like Bulkpaq in the UK/Euro markets).

9. viliboy

viliboy Guest

Thanks.
    P.S. I'm not paranoid.