1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best compression for 360 iso's

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by snickle, Oct 27, 2011.

1. snickle

snickle Regular member

I'm just wondering what you guys are using to compress and store your 360 iso's Is winrar or 7zip still the best compression tools for these games? I'm running out of hard drives here and I have about 1.5 tb of games that are not burned.

2. GI2

GI2 Regular member

Delete some games in your hard drive. Better yet, Buy a new hard drive...

3. GI2

GI2 Regular member

Post removed

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  4. snickle

snickle Regular member

Thanks for making me check my email and log back in to read that shit, better yet, thanks for the double post.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  5. cooll903

cooll903 Regular member

dude just do as he said and buy another HDD. you can get a 2tb drive for cheap.

6. snickle

snickle Regular member

Nevermind, you guys are missing the point.

7. GI2

GI2 Regular member

Hey, I was just trying to help... But If U mad, then what can I do? And sorry. I have laggy internet right now.

I know your point, but compressing takes alot of time. Sometimes, compression isn't a good idea... So buy a new HDD or delete your games.

8. funksoulb

funksoulb Regular member

I doubt anyone here has done any tests specifically with Xbox 360 ISOs to be able to answer your question, but I would guess that 7z or RAR at the highest compression settings would be best. Simplest way to find out would be to test 7-Zip and WinRAR with the same ISO.

9. gman1275

gman1275 Member

I have over 6 TB of games at my place. 2-1TB drives full of ISO's 2-2TB drives full of ISO's. Like everyone else says just buy more drives. I don't think your going to save enough space to make a big enough difference. Let's say you compress and then find out taking out the compression messes up the iso files then it was all for not. Too little to gain by using compression just buy a cheap $45 1TB drive to hold you over if you you don't have enough cash.

10. snickle

snickle Regular member

Now THATS a thorough type of answer I was looking for. It's weird because I had a rar archive of XBLA Triple Pack (2011) and I sent that whole rar folder to 7zip and it actually made it 20mb larger! I guess if there is little to no padding in these images then the current compression ratio is already the best we're ever gonna get. I will try to compress the iso with 7zip without the winrar shell and see how it goes.

Thanks for the reply

11. snickle

snickle Regular member

You're right, I also didnt think about the notorious "winrar corrupt archive". That message is dreadful, especially with no parity files.

12. infam0us

infam0us Regular member

i agree if u have spare hdd laying around use those,i have 3 hdd full of isos,ready patch and to burn,i hate unzipping files