1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best digital camera?

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by eurofig, Mar 6, 2007.

1. eurofig

eurofig Guest

I´m thinking of bying a digital camera...what is the best one?

2. jakewash

jakewash Member

That depends on what you want, do a search for reviews from independent websites and you will get the best idea of what to look for. I found my Canon SD700is to have some of the best prints I have ever seen from a subcompact camera. I spent many hours researching before I bought it. You have to decide what you are looking for, ie. size, resolution, mostly outdoor shots, manual adjustments etc. then buy from a place with a very good return policy in case you are not happy.

3. rayboy

rayboy Regular member

I cannot tell you what camera is the best camera but I only can tell you the best bang for the buck camera

here the spec:
    - 10 M pixels
    - Lense 25-420 mm (Leica lense)
    - Street price is $450-$500 USD.

Do the compare yourself on the camera same spec.

It's a Panasonic DMC-FX50

Good luck.

4. jakewash

jakewash Member

I have been seeing reviews of the new 10Meg cameras and most say that low light conditions make the prints VERY grainy/noisy. Do you own the Panny? Are the reviews true for this camera as well?

5. rayboy

rayboy Regular member

Yes, in low light all the SLR-likeds , all Compacts are grainy/noisy. because:
    - They used the build-in flash
    - Their lense is not a very fast lense
    - They are not $4000 body nor $6000 lense.

For any $500 camera, on the low light situation you expect many "not very good thing". Anyway, the Pan PZ50 is not the best camera, it just a best bang for the buck, (do the search for your self).

6. rayboy

rayboy Regular member

How much will you want to spend on the dig. camera ???
    How long have you shooting the picture ??

7. jakewash

jakewash Member

I wouldn't say all sub/compacts as my canon in relatively low light(indoors, only 1 60 watt incandescent bulb 20'X15' room) has an excellent printed picture. My old Minolta S513 had a reasonable picture in the same conditions but it was noticeably noisier than this Canon.

Again a little/lot of research goes along way to finding what you(the OP) are looking for.

I would agree that the SLP style digi's are much better than any of the sub/compacts though. I have never used one but many of the reviews say they are just as good if not better than film.

8. rayboy

rayboy Regular member

9. SAMUELK

SAMUELK Guest

Go to dpreview.com. You can get any and all info you want regarding reviews, forums and side-by-side comparsions. I've got several digital cameras from point and shoot to expensive DSLR's. There's not one "best" camera. You need to go to dpreview.com and come to your own conclusion.

10. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

The one that will do what you want it to do for the price you want to pay......