1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best DVD Burner?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by dks142, Nov 23, 2004.

1. dks142

dks142 Member

I have had problems with my DVD burners and I am ready to get new ones. The one that came with my 2002 system has gone kaput, and the I/O Magic that I bought last year just did the same (yeah, yeah, I know, but I got a good deal on it). I am going to buy a DVD+/-R/RW dual layer burner, and a DVD-ROM/CD-R/RW burner. I have not done too much research on the subject, but I know that there are experts scanning these forums daily that may have some insight. What are the latest (top-of-the-line) optical drives?

2. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

pioneer A08 cant be beat as far as im concerned

3. 6foot7

6foot7 Member

In order ot determine that you would have to purchase every burner on the market, of course people will have their own personnel preferences as far as which is the best. Just keep trying until you find one that works for you.

4. kchev

kchev Regular member

I would recommend NEC 3500A as first choice and BenQ 1620 as second choice.

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

My preferance is Pioneer all the way...............

A burner is a burner in my book, but I prefer to stick with what has been a beautiful relationship..........................

I love my Pioneersssssssssss........................

6. klinger

klinger Regular member

I'm new to this site. Ihave used plextor and pioneer so far my luck and less problems is been Lite-on. now using them at work.

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

A definite vote for Plextor here. Unbeatable quality in both build and performance :)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Hell of a ripper and CD burner too. The PX-712A is being sold for about $100 at newegg.com. I was going to get the new dual layer but with the high price of DL media, I've decided on another 712A instead.

Neph

Did you get the new dual layer Plex? If so I'm waiting for your feedback before I buy another 712.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  9. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I haven't picked one up yet either. I've a Beretta 9mm carbine and a set of Yokohama tires to get before a new burner :)

The wait won't affect me much for the same reason you stated - DL media prices. It'd be cool to have one but I throw a hissyfit when I get a .40 cent coaster so there's no telling what'd happen if I ended up with a $7 coaster!

10. klinger

klinger Regular member

Lite-ON!! At newegg model#1633 $80.00 rated #1 at PC World of course after I got It!!!

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I didn't think you'd spring for a DL drive at this time with DL media still hovering around $10 each.

klinger

The Lite-On is a good burner but it isn't rated #1 by PC world, the Plex PX-712A is. Just click on the link below and it'll take you to the comparison.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,116581,00.asp

PC World also gave the PX-712A the best product of 2004 award and this was done when it still sold for almost $200, at a around $100 even at $20 less my first choice would still be the Plex.:)

http://marketing.pcworld.com/site/pressreleases/worldclass2004.html

12. klinger

klinger Regular member

I have 1633s lite on it is a double layer burner the 712 plex is a single.

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

linger

Perhaps but the review on DLs were done before Plextor released their DL, and if they're true to form then the Lite-On will take a back seat. Besides I don't know of anyone who's burning DLS because of the price of DL media.

Recently there was a DVD that no one could rip it would stop dead on the 3rd VOB (a form of physical copy protection). Many of my colleagues who tried were Lite-On owners including Dual Layers. Hearing about the problem I purchased the movie and tried to rip it at full speed and just as everyone said it stopped cold on the 3rd VOB. I set my Plex to rip the 3rd VOB at 2X with no problem and then I ripped the rest of the movie at full speed. Only one other person beside me in that group succeeded in ripping it and he too had a Plex.

The Plex 712 is not just the average burner it comes with features that you won't find on other makes. The Lite-Ons just don't have the flexiablity of fine speed adjustments that the Plex does.

I personally don't think that Dual Layer's will ever take off because I don't think that the media prices are going to come down before its replaced by Blu-Ray or some other format. Besides I'm buying single layer media for $.36 a pop and I can get 100 of them for less than the price of 4 DL discs, and my backups are indistinguishable from the original so what's the point?

I'm curious, how many DL discs have you burned thus far? BTW I've always been a Lite-On fan to

Last edited: Nov 25, 2004
  14. dks142

dks142 Member

hey sophocles, just out of curiosity, what was the movie causing problems?

15. jetyi83

jetyi83 Regular member

huh

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  16. jetyi83

jetyi83 Regular member

another question, why is the older plextor, px708a still more expensive than the new one? (px712)

on multiple sites the old plex that i have is still around 30-40 bucks more.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

dks142

The movie was Ned Kelly, there was a release with numerous flawed copies. Some difficult to rip DVDS can be ripped at lower speeds such as 1X which Lite-Ons can't do.

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

jetyi83

No reason that I can think of although if I had a 708 I wouldn't rush out and buy a 712 because I don't burn DVDs at any higher speed than 6X. The Plex tools alone would make the 712 a better buy, but I couldn't explain why the PX-708 would sell for more.

19. jetyi83

jetyi83 Regular member

the new plex has an 8mb buffer though, compared to the old 2 mb one. so i figured it would be comfortable at 8x.

does it not burn well at 8x? i only use -r so thats the fastest i could burn. Mine works perfect at 4 but thats pretty slow.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

jetyi82

It burns great at 8X even with 4X media. I've done several at that speed and not a one had P/O errors.