1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best DVD player for watching burned movies?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by dbzhead, Aug 7, 2005.

1. dbzhead

dbzhead Member

Sorry for the lame question, but I'm a newb at the whole DVD ripping/burning thing and my DVD player is crap. I'm looking for something that will play anything and everything for less than $100. Any tips would be great. Thanks folks.

2. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Basically when u are in the market for a good DVD Player look for the ones that have the most info e.g. DVD/VCD/CD/CDR/CDRW/DVD+-R MPR JPEG etc.. basically look at the box and ask questions but thats what i did when i bought mine and I have 2 DVD Players that work with everythin

1.Sonwa
    2.AKAI

They both do everythin i need and want. keep researching...

3. davidyang

davidyang Guest

if u go to like an asian mall or video store, they sell really cheap dvd players that play EVERYTHING, some are even region free

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Usually the cheapies play just about everything. I've been having issues with my usually reliable sony dvp-ns325 in the last month. It started with the freezing and pixellation. A lens cleaning disc helped quite a bit,but when I slapped in my first dual layer backup,it wouldn't play the last quarter of the movie.

I just picked up the $36 wal-mart special Magnavox MWD 200f yesterday. It's playing backups from my benq in the dash/booktyped dvd-rom plus discs/and even my verbatim +2.4x dl played perfectly.
    I also have a brother and a cousin who picked up the same identical player. That thing don't even weigh a half pound.It is very small,but seems to be very compatable on my backups.

The specs list +/- r/rw/dvd-video/audio cd/cd-r/rw..It does state never play dvd-ram/photo cd/video cd/dvd with region codes other than 1 or all/dts-cd/dvd-rom & cd rom for pcs.

It mentions nothing about dual layers,but worked on my benq 1620 +dl backups -booktyped to dvd-rom!

5. sfguy123

sfguy123 Member

i have a couple of dvd players. my favorite, and most reliable, is my sony dvp-cx985v it's a multi-player and it's been very reliable.

6. KenSolo

KenSolo Member

hi sfguy123,

i would like to ask what software and hardware you are using to backup dvds and playing on ur sony 400 disc changer.

i have the same dvd player but my backups are pixelling / freezing on certain discs at the last (or second last) chapter of each movie/dvd.

any help would be truly apreciated...thanks :)
    kenny

7. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

@dbzhead, My answer will not thrill you but I have really enjoyed my burned movies on not just my Sony, but also on my Denon 2200 (it plays the good media TY's, Verbs, Maxell, and FuJi's) burned at 4x. Awesome qulaity but 10 times more than most players. I have a Sony in the activity room from Best Buy ($60.00) plays everything and it has Progressive scan (if hooked to a progressive scan capable monitor).
    MovieDud

8. sfguy123

sfguy123 Member

pioneer 4x burner. dvd-r i forget the model. it's over a year old.
    i use nero, i think 5.5. usually burn at 2x or 4x.
    i use different discs - memorex and others.

9. riplord

riplord Guest

I have just started burning dvd's and i have one of the cheapie dvd players. Beacause i hear they can play any kind of media. Its an APEX AD-1201 and it won't play the dvd's I burn. I make the iso using dvd decrypter, and burn the iso using dvd shrink and still no results. They play on my friends and neighbors more expensive dvd players and i'm pretty frustrated. I am currently using sony dvd+r's and on the center they say Ver 1.2. They are 4.7 gb dvd's. And my machine is: AMD Athlon 64 1.2 GHZ, 512 MB SDRAM, My drive is a Lite-ON SOHW-1673S DVDRW Dual layer, dvd+r 16x Cd-r combo drive, and am running windows xp sp2. If anyone can lend a hand i would greatly appreciate it. Please don't flame me. Heh.

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Riplord, your litey is capable of booktyping the plus format to dvd-rom making them more compatable on standalone players.Only the plus media can be booktyped.This booktyping the plus format and alters it to dvd-rom,the more universal format.It fools those standalones.

Here's where you can get that booktyping utility:
    http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/download_combo.htm

You are already using sony plus format.

What speed rate are they?

How fast did you burn them?

11. riplord

riplord Guest

Thank you for the book typing utility. You're a lifsaver. The sony DVD+R's Are rated at 1-8x speed, at first I burnt them at 8x but i burn them at six to reduce the risk of getting an error.

12. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

saugmon, I need to ask for some assistance. I noticed on my new system that the internal burner NEC does not book type, the external Sony does and so does ny Samsung on the second system. It is the Nec 3540a. The firmware version is 1.01. I found a firmware upgrade that enables Book Typing but just wanting your expertise. Thank you
    MovieDud

13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Moviedud, I,ve heard about a firmware update for NEC for the booktyping. I am unfamiliar with it,but I know there is lots of info at cdfreaks.com about that firmware. Sorry I couldn't help you out on that question.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  14. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

Thank you my friend, I will check out that site. Have a good day.
    MovieDud