1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best DVD recorder, media, software, and modchip for PS2 backup games?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by vic99, May 22, 2004.

1. vic99

vic99 Member

I have a model 39001 (v7) PS2. Can someone tell me what is the best DVD recorder, media, software, and modchip for playing PS2 backup games on this v7 model of PS2?

I heard the best are:
    Media: Ritek G04 DVD-R
    Software: DVD Decrypter

I'm thinking about getting the Sony 8x Internal Double-Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Drive Model: DRU-700A. Its descriptions says: Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video on compatible DVD+R DL (double layer) discs. Does this mean that this Sony DRU-700A can backup to DVD-9 DVD-R disc and backup games like Champion's of Norrath, Xenosaga and Metal Gear Solid 2? Double layer means DVD-9 disc and is different from the double sided disc right? I read on this site that PS2 model v7 should be able to read DVD+R disc, so is it true? Also I'm thinking about getting the Magic 3.1 modchip, and is it good? DSM3 modchips has some problems so it is not that good? It is true that I have to backup all my PS2 games in 1x speed? What is the max speed I can use and still be able to play it on my v7 PS2? Thanks.

2. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

Personally i've got :- Pioneer 107, RiDisc 4X dvd-r, dvd decrypter [ISO read, ISO write], Matrix MXL modchip. Everything works fine for me ;-)

Dene

3. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

would not recomend the magic 3.1 in a v7 ps2 as it is known to have problems with some double check games in that version of console,if you want to go with a magic chip in a v7 console would suggest you use the magic 5 but you should also consider the matrix mxl2 and the duo chip