1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best DVD value?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by phydeaux, Feb 24, 2004.

1. phydeaux

phydeaux Guest

I just recently purchased a spindel of 50 Philips DVDs at best buy for $49.99 (plus tax), which is about $1.00 per disc. The customer service rep told me that DVD blanks usually run in the neighborhood of about $2.00 - $3.00 per disc. Did I get a good deal? Or, is there a vendor online that I can order them from for less? The blanks that I bought seem to be a pretty good quality product. But I'm new at DVD burning so I don't have much knowledge in this area. Thanks in advance for any help.

Brandon

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Your price sounds pretty good, especially for a philips disc which is usually over-priced at the best of times. I personally only ever use by choice Ritek media, such as RiDATA/Traxdata

3. mara60

mara60 Guest

I have used verbatim and memorex. Between these two I have found out that memorex is the best value for the buck.

4. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

office depot had a sale like 2 weeks ago and i purchase a philips 50pk for $89 dollars, and received another 50pk for free more or less 100 for 96 dollars including tax, the media works great!! for both ps2 games or dvd. checked with dvd identifier and the discs were manufacture by cmc mag.. this manufactures does the majority of tdk, and memorex media that ive used in the past, some memorex are done by ricohjpn.. either way the price is fair. best buy always has these 50pks for 50 dollars deal almost every week. last week they had imation on sale for the same price, they are also good, manufacture be cmc mag too

5. Bigiboi

Bigiboi Member

i buy most my blank dvd's from meritline.com
    u can buy bulk dvd's for about 59 cents each.
    but then u must buy like 500 pieces or so
    last time i got a great deal bought 500 pcs bulk and got 500 dvd's absolutely free.
    dvd quality wasn't bad either, burned about 15 dvd's all of them good.
    :)

Bigiboi

6. Bigiboi

Bigiboi Member

got 500 dvd cases free, not dvd's LOL
    :p

7. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Unfortunately CMC (one of the biggest makers of bulk/OEM blank discs) are very inconsistant and not held in very high regard. They should usually be avoided. That said though, the Philips/CMC's are reported to work well. This could be the result of the specific plant or Philips getting the prime runs.

8. JimMrBass

JimMrBass Member

Try softwaremedia.com or meritline.com where you can buy the very best media Ritek for less than a dollar a disk. Anone who has burned as long as I have will tell you Ritek is the very best media as they make over 50% of all media sold. Companies like Memorex are using their media and calling it their own. This is an OEM of the Ritek brand. I have personally burned over 250 movies and over 250 Play Station games with Ritek and never had a coaster.

9. garyde

garyde Member

I just found the DVD-Rs below at www.tigerdirect.com which is in Florida USA. The text below was paste and cut from their page. These are BMI media which I've used before and not had any problems. The only catch is that they are only 1X speed which means you will have to wait longer for your burn. But $34.99 for 50 DVDs is a darn good price. If you want to order them go to the site and enter the sku number below in their search box and it will bring you to the page... if they still have any! :)

------------------------------------------------------
    BMI - 50-Pack 1x Speed DVD-R In Spindle

DVD is a disk revolution! There is no doubt that DVD will eventually replace all other disc media because of its enormous capacity and functionality.

$34.99 BUY INFO Available While Supplies Last

Sku B203-1082 P
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    -----------------------------------------------------

10. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

In the uk I go to digitalpromo for My stuff and they are a great company very friendly n helpful....