1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best method of making AVI/MPEG to DVD?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Napalm97, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Napalm97

Napalm97 Member

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Remember: the final output quality will never exceed the input quality.
    That is: if you are able to watch the input AVI , don't lose time (and media: fitting 6*700 MB AVI on a Data DVD-ROM is cheaper than converting only one of those six into a DVD Movie) to convert it to anything.
    (And faster: a movie conversion needs, nowadays, half a day. Then you need to author the movie, then burning it. Burning an AVI is, instead, just a plain burning (of something much smaller than a DVD5: 700/1400 MB vs 4489 MB)).
    If you make the conversion properly, you'll manage to mantain the input quality. If you make some mistake, you'll decrease it. IT WILL NEVER RAISE.

That is my opinion is:
    - if you have an AVI, play it with a DVD/DivX Player
    - if you have a DVD, keep it without convering it(if you can)
    If you want some suggestions about DVD --> AVI converters, the answer AutoGK.
    Only DVD --> AVI conversion is a conversion that might have some reason to be done: 2*700 MB AVI keeps almost all quality than a DVD9 and a DVD-ROM can keep 3*(1400 MB) movies. You lose very few quality and multiply by three your available room....

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  3. georgeluv

georgeluv Regular member

what is it before its an mpeg 2? what are your reasons for making this dvd. diferent methods are better for diferent things.

4. Napalm97

Napalm97 Member

VCD (which is a MPEG1 .dat file)

i wanted to change mpeg1 to mpeg2, so i used TMPGEnc Plus to convert the mpeg1 to mpeg2. then just wanted to put that on DVD, so that's why i asked "what is the best method of doing this (with the 2 apps i listed).

or, should i convert to avi instead of mpeg2 at the very start??

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  5. georgeluv

georgeluv Regular member

whoa whoa whoa... your adding an extra un-needed step. you can do vcd to dvd in one fell swoop with tmpgenc xpress and dameon tools. maybe even tmpgenc plus.

step one: load the vcd into a virtual cd drive with dameon tools. find that big .dat file in the vcds folders. copy it to your desktop. rename it "XXXXXXX.mpg" now load it into tmpgenc xpress and convert to dvd format (.m2v). now use whatever authoring prog you like i think nero will work but i use tmpgenc dvd author 1.6.

if you dont feel like paying for xpress or dvd author... then dont ;-)

6. Napalm97

Napalm97 Member

Hey, cheers for the information, but I already answered my own question yesterday by other threads. All I did was use TMPGEnc to make the DAT into a MPEG2, then encoded the MPEG2 to DVD with Nero Vision. Excellent quality... I don't think it would be any better.

7. MysticE

MysticE Active member

I would use VCDgear to extract (and it also can fix some mpeg errors) the mpeg-1 and go straight to Nero Vision for the final conversion.

8. Napalm97

Napalm97 Member

Well... it's a little to late for that... ;)