1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the Difference? DVD -R and +R?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by redhatman, Mar 11, 2005.

1. redhatman

redhatman Regular member

Hey, i was wondering what the differnece was between DVD -R and +R? Is +R is that like DVD Rom, like a ps2 disc, and -R like for videos? Please help. Thanks
    -Pat noemailsallowed@afterdawn.com

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

There's really not much difference between the plus and the dash formats. It's all about compatability. If you have a dvd dash or dvd plus burner,you are limited to that format. If you have dual format dvd burner,then you have more flexibility for the main issues: Playing those backup dvd discs on stand alone players. Some of them can be picky as to which format they like.Thats why it is best to have good dual format burner. That ps2 and your stand alones will tell you which format,if any,that they prefer.

Some burners support bit-setting that can booktype a dvd plus disc into a dvd-rom disc-making them more compatable. You can't booktype a dash r to dvd-rom.

What brand and model # of burner do you have?

3. redhatman

redhatman Regular member

hey, thanks. I just bought the compaq presario 1330nx series pc. It is a dual-format burner. It saupports all formats except for dvd ram i am pretty sure. What brand can i use that will play in a ps2? Thanks
    -Pat (redhatman noemailsallowed@afterdawn.com

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  4. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

first off, edit your posts and take out your email address. it's against forum rules.

For your ps2, you have to know what version you have. versions 1-4 won't play +r's, verions 5/6+ will play either format. google 'ps2 verions' for help on finding out which verion you have.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Being a newbie, use some good-quality media. Maxell's are a very safe media using either + or - format. Their quality manufacturers are very reliable. The quality doesn't vary when you use different quantity of packs or spindles. Very safe media.You will find out how quality varies between brand names and spindle quantities.

Ps2's? These are like most stand alone dvd players. Some of them will play anything you slap in them,some may be finicky.I play my backups on about 3 or 4 different ps2's and they had no trouble playing my benq 1620 backups using high quality + and - formats,burned at 4x. Other members swear dash are better on ps2's.

Try a small pack of maxell in both + and - 4x speed. Particularly the maxell -4x yellowtops. Very good manufacturers like taiyo yuden,maxell, and ritek.You can't go wrong with whatever manufacturer that made those yellowtops.My buddy burns ps2 games and swears by these yellowtops.

You can start out with the maxell's and work your way up to the really good stuff like taiyo yuden's.

Office depot has a sale on maxell's here in USA if you have one near you. Later

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@ redhatman

No posting email addies as per forum rules :)

7. redhatman

redhatman Regular member

hey, so in ps2. if i figure out what version i have, then i get the right media and it will play my video. But will that be the same for if I burn a game? or will i have to have a mod chip to do that? Thanks for your help.
    -Pat (redhatman)

8. redhatman

redhatman Regular member

hey, please answer the question before. But i was also wondering if you guys know of any good virtual image drives. I want to have one because i burn so many .iso cds and i dont want to keep wasting cds. Please help answer both questions. Thanks a lot.
    -Pat (redhatman)

9. kinza

kinza Regular member

you mean you need a program that mounts ISO images? you might as well get the entire nero 6 edition if you're doing dvd backups and also want to mount images. as for burning ISO's get the free DVD Decrypter program. it's in the software download section.

10. redhatman

redhatman Regular member

Hey, I have found a virtual drive and will that work if i make it read an .iso file on my computer? Thanks
    -Pat (redhatman)