1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the P2P for a dial up modem?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Tanksta, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Tanksta

Tanksta Regular member

Hi I got a dial up modem and I am currently using DC++ I was just wondering if there is a P2P which is faster and has also a lot suff. I have used kaaza lite++ but I full of fake suff and the speed isn't that good either. Could anyone advise me.

Thanks

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

DC++ is probably your best option!! eMule is terrible for Dial Up and so are most other p2p apps!

3. Tanksta

Tanksta Regular member

Is there anything that will speed up my modem and stop my isp disconnecting every 2 hours. I can't get broadband because its out of my area.

Thanks

4. gatekeepr

gatekeepr Guest

There is software out there that will supposedly do this (i.e. speed things up, prevent disconnects), but I've not used / heard of any that work very well. There are a few download managers that help when downloading from websites. Running a search on download.com is bound to turn up something that will fit your needs. Unfortunately such is the plight of Dial-up users.

5. Dela

True!! dial up and p2p just dont mix at all!

6. Tanksta

Tanksta Regular member

Is there any alternative to a 56kbps dial up modem except for broadband or satilite. I know about isdn but with bt its £30 a month + your isp which is about £14.99 so that £44.99 for a 128kbps connectioon.

7. Dela

I dont know of any alternative no!!

8. sTs

sTs Member

ISDN is the only alternative if you can't get cable. Re. P2P for dialup, I use WinMX, which is pretty OK, it makes a 'secondary' connection for dialup users, which basically means you get to piggy back on a primary connection running at a higher speed.

Re. stopping the disconnects - don't do it. Read the terms of service you agreed to, they will warn that if you are found trying to block the disconnect, you lose your account. Which would you rather have? A connection you have to restart every 2 hours, or no service at all?

Besides, the disconnect is to stop individuals taking up a line for ex. overnight downalods, denying other users the chance to get connected. Imagine if it was you being stopped from getting online because someone else was doing the thing you're trying to? How would you feel about that? :)

9. bonton

bonton Guest

I use WinMX and eMule with a 56K connection and a 2 hour time out. WinMX is fine for small files but I never seem to be able to complete anything very large with it. eMule on the other hand is OK for large downloads. Obviously you need to be patient and I only pick files with a number of sources, the more sources the better. I’ve downloaded files of up to 400MB but it takes time. Trying to download very large files on WinMX can annoy the person you’re downloading from whereas eMule is a little more impersonal, you don’t really notice who’s downloading from you. I leave my PC and eMule running and re-connecting overnight and often find I’ve downloaded over 100MB by the morning. Two or three or four days and there you are.