1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the purpose of 3GB images?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by Quezacotl, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Quezacotl

Quezacotl Regular member

why 3GB imafes could work better?, gamecube cant even read that big disks, could someone explain how it suppose to work? i dont get it.

2. Artlover

Artlover Member

If I had to guess, it's that original GC discs may have a data track to the very physical end of the disc, or that there is no logical tract layout at all past the end of data.

But with burned discs (even mini discs), you are not burning 100% in full exactly to the byte. There will be blank/unburned area at the very end, outside edge of the disc. It might not be much, but it will be there. I think the problem is what happens when the GC reads in to a region of empty unburned, but logical media. Since original media likely would never have this artifict, the drive logic was never programmed to handle this condition.

I doubt the need to pad to 2.5 or 3 gig is a specifc goal to burn to, but more about getting a complete track of data out as far as the GC can track so it doesn't "skip a groove" so to speak. Could probably just burn to 1.5 or 1.6 gigs and accomplish the same thing.

3. -Geforce-

-Geforce- Member

Shouldnt you use fstfix for this?

4. Artlover

Artlover Member

Yeah.