1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHAT IS THIS ???

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Gearfreak, May 3, 2005.

1. Gearfreak

Gearfreak Member

I posted 2 times with a question regarding PAL games and my posts always disappeared! What is this ?????????? Whoever deletes them, could you please let me know WHY ? Is it some kind of an offense here to ask how to play PAL games?

2. Wagz

Wagz Regular member

You mean these 2 threads:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/187860
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/187779

They weren't deleted so I don't know where you were looking.

As for you're question if you have a modded ps2 you can patch the games from PAL to NTSC (however I've never done this as pal and ntsc games seem to work on my ps2 and TV). This thread seems to have a good guide on how to do that. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/121718

Also if you don't want to mod you're ps2 they have NTSC to PAL TV converters which is a hardware component which you add to you're TV which will allow you're TV to display PAL signals. However I'm not sure if this will fix you're problem as some ps2's don't seem to be able to play pal and ntsc games. What happens when you put the pal game in you're ps2, can the ps2 read the disk or is it just that the games displayed weird (black and white with all the scan lines) on the TV? If it's just that the game is displayed weird on the TV then this method will work.

Hope this helps.

3. Wagz

Wagz Regular member

One last thing. Are the games ps1 games or ps2 games? If they're ps1 games and you mod you're ps2 and patch the games then you'll need to also get a disk called breaker pro which will allow you to play ps1 backups on you're ps2.

4. Gearfreak

Gearfreak Member

Hi Wagz,
    thanks for your detailed response! I know about the difference between PAL and NTSC and my TV is multi sync so I can watch PAL on it no problem. The games I bought are all PS1 and my PS2 will always prompt me to insert a valid disc, or offer to play it as an audio CD, so no luck here. I don't have any mod chips installed and I haven't found out where to get them or ho to install (is there a service that does that?). Maybe I'll just buy a PAL PS2 on eBay and I'm all set.

THANKS AGAIN!

5. Wagz

Wagz Regular member

If you want to mod you're ps2 you have pretty much 3 options. You can install a modchip which would require you to open up you're ps2 and solder a chip into you're ps2, these are only sold online and would cost around 70-100$ (youl'd have to instal it yourself). With the modchip however you would be able to play backups of ps2 and ps1 games, mp3's, roms and other various things on you're ps2. Or you could install a flip top which is a bit easier to install but would require you to do a swap before loading you're backups , also to play you're ps1 backups you would need to buy the breaker pro disk. All this would cost around 60$. Or you could use HDAdvance which has a much easier install and would allow you to play backups and would cost 120ish$ depending what HD you put in you're ps2 (however I don't know if you can play ps1 games this way). So modding you're ps2 is probly going to cost close to the same amount as buying a pal ps2 on ebay, so that being said, I'd only bother modding you're ps2 if you're interested in the other things it will allow you to do (backups, mp3's, divx, roms, etc.)