1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your favorite Mac DVD ripper?

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by brainwerk, Sep 25, 2003.

1. brainwerk

brainwerk Member

I use OSEx but lately it is pissing me off. I’ve heard of others like DVD Backup and DVD Extractor but have not heard feedback from them.

2. ajk90

ajk90 Member

dvd back-up and DVD2One work great had no problems with using this system and toast to burn them .I have tryed them all this way is the fastest and no sync problems on bigger movies

3. tenbob

tenbob Member

If you can, I'd switch your Mac back to OS9.2. That's what I'm using just now along with DVD Extractor 0.9b and DVD Studio Pro 1.5 and everything seems to be sweet at the moment. The only problem I have is that I sometimes have to split movies over two discs, but it doesn't bother me at all. It's a good excuse to get the kettle on when switching discs. Another gem of an application is MPEG Append, I used to get problems now and then in DVD Studio Pro after extraction but all you do is drag the mv2 file over the MPEG Append icon and it fixes it. Don't ask me how it fixes it, it just does!! Then when you import the file into DVD SP it reads it fine with no errors! Yippee!!!!

4. triglyph

triglyph Guest

How did you go about splitting a movie to two disks? This is what I want to do as I don't want to reduce the quality of the movie by further compressing it.

I just tried a test with Diva and the results were appalling. Worse than if I had transferred the movie to VHS.

What software will split a movie to two disks? And are there any special tricks I should know in doing it?

5. samintx

samintx Regular member

True that DVD Xpress will be available for the mac in 2004?????

6. JonB

JonB Member

The best choice to go with if you´re a newbie is DVDBackup and DVD2One burning with Toast 5. It has never failed me.

7. samintx

samintx Regular member

But those programs don't do copy protected DVDs, do they? like DVDExpress.

Still trying to find out if the rumor of DVDExpress will be out for the Mac in 2004.

8. Sadam1971

Sadam1971 Member

DVDBackup renders your DVD copy region free and removes Macrovision as well as CSS encryption.

However, there are some DVDs, of which the CSS encryption of the DVD menu cannot be decrypted (using DVDbackup 1.3), thus you can only copy the movie itself but not the menu structure. But this still is true for a minority of DVDs (in RC 2 region, at least).

In the end, your assumption is wrong. DVDbackup CAN decrypt.

9. samintx

samintx Regular member

Thanks for clearing this up. Glad to know it. Still wondering about DVDXpress and possibility it will come out for Macs.

10. NoCalME

NoCalME Member

TechTV had a segment several weeks ago where they announced 321 Studios will be releasing DVDExpress for Mac sometime early '04.