1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what kind of drive to use for backing up ps2

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by pooface, Sep 21, 2004.

1. pooface

pooface Member

Sorry my last post subject was a little vague. I just installed a mod chip in my playstation 2 and now I need to back some of my games up. I was just searching around the internet in different forums and stuff and I came to one mod chip site that had a list of what was needed to backup PS2 games. It said you must have a dvd-r or -rw drive, a +rw or +r will not work, and it just so happens that I have a DVD+RW drive. So is there anyway I can burn backups or am I SOL. If I do need a new burner please suggest a good one that backs up games well, thanks a bunch. Since posting this I read someone tried to use varbatim +r that had worked before on his machine. But then someone answered as a rule I always use dvd-r. They seem to work better. The verbatim dvd-r work with anything. I love those disks. I would try -r's. So is there anyway to use -r discs with my +rw drive or what? I can't even tell you how confused I am, if anyone has a faq page on all this that would rock. Please just let me know what I need to do to back up my playstation games with a dvd+rw burner. Thanks again.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

get some ritek or verbatim +R. Then download dvd decrypter. use mode-iso-read, mode-iso-write to backup your games. what is the model number of your ps2, scph-######?

3. pooface

pooface Member

the model number is scph-30001 R I had a magic 3.1+D9 chip installed. I used the iso read mode on dvd decrypter and it made a 5KB MDS file and another huge file that came out as a winrar archive. I ran the iso write option, clicked on the winrar archive and a message came up saying to use the mds file and it automatically did it for me. I had the write speed set on 1X and it took about fourteen to fifteen minutes to finish writing the disc. I thought that seemed a bit fast. Then I went and put the backup in my playstation turned the power off and then on and used the reset button to start it up, it took me directly to the browser menu where I had the option to select my memory card. It didn't even try to read the disc. I used a TDK+RW disc. I will try those other two brand names, ritek and verbatim+r but can all these problems be simply from using a different brand name? The guy that hooked the chip up tried a burned movie dvd on it and it worked and he said that meant the chip was installed correctly, but I am not so sure. So now I have one option left and that is to switch brands to ritek or verbatim, if that doesn't work is it the chip? I guess I just need someone to look at the info here and tell me if there is anything I am doing wrong, or if there is anything else I need to do other than try the other discs, but can all this be caused merely by using the wrong brand name? And is there any chance the others will work?

4. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

Pooface, its because your using +rw, older playstations wont read rw, thats the problem. Try using the +r instead and see if that works.

5. pooface

pooface Member

thanks a bunch I will try that.