1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Laptop To Buy?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by chwoolgar, Oct 15, 2007.

1. chwoolgar

chwoolgar Regular member

Im looking into buying a laptop but I'm not too sure what one to get (Real nooby on hardware sides of PC's)
    Im not a big gamer, just want a PC that can run fast so I wont be waiting all day for it to turn on.
    Im currently using:
    Sony Vaio
    Intel Pentium 4
    Win XP (No SP)

This laptop is unbelievably slower than it was when i first got it 5 years ago.

I have tried defragging, optimisers, adaware, virus scans A-Z of things but it just wont get any faster and I still have over 10GB free space on 2 partitions of my HD.

Any ideas on how to get it running faster?

Also any idea what laptops out at the moment are the dogs b..lcks. that arent going to cost me a fortune.

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

When was the last time you did a Format C:\? It may be time to do it. And why wouldn't your run any Service Packs?

3. chwoolgar

chwoolgar Regular member

I have tried to install SP2 onto the laptop twice before but it gets 75% way through and crashes. I would leave it for days just to make sure it had crashed and then turn laptop off as it had completely crashed and i would end up having to reinstall windows as the laptop would not even boot up after that, even in last known good configuration.

Im not risking it again unless anyone else has had the problem and knows how to resolve it, spent weeks trying to install it lol!!!!

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

thread teleported to relevant forum

5. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

try going to notebookreview if your thinking of buying a new laptop. nice reviews there. site also has a page showing deals. I'm waiting on a nice hp laptop for just under 9. UNfortunately it has vista on it.

as for sp2 I have encountered that problem. I found out the sp was corrupted and had to download it again. this may be your problem.

6. chwoolgar

chwoolgar Regular member

I downloaded the copy of SP2 from the official Microsoft Windows update website. I shall try again once i have backed up the PC, thanks for the advice.

7. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

no problem.