1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What made Nero Stop Burning?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by harklar, Feb 28, 2005.

1. harklar

harklar Member

Nero Burning Rom stopped burning DVD's for me mid-stream all of a sudden. I have uninstalled all other dvd writing software, switched media, updated my firmware, and updated NERO. Nero cannot finish a job whether it is an incremental data backup or a movie burn. Nothing on the forums seems to apply to my problem, so I thought I would ask if anyone else has had this happen after Nero Burning, which was happy, is now mad?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried reinstalling Nero itself?

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi harklar, welcome to aD,

Though Nero is an excellent program we tend to forget the fact that our friendly Nero program can get "Flaky" at times and then needs to be uninstalled then reinstalled.

If you are going to uninstall Nero you must do a "clean" uninstall.

You must use all of Nero's Clean tools in order to do the job correctly.

They can all be found here:

http://www.nero.com/us/631940828445001.html

General Clean tool
    Registry cleaner and driver cleaner
    InCD Clean tool

When you reinstall Nero 6 DO NOT install InCD OR if you do, turn it off in msconfig (better to not install it) it can and does cause problems with other proggys.

When installing and uninstalling programs it's a good practice complete the operation with a PC reboot. It only takes a minute, help it can, hurt it won't.

Whenever you're uninstalling a program, it's a good practice to reboot your PC (even if it's not called for) to help "Flush" the program out. By the same token, when you install a program, it's a good practice to reboot your PC (even though it doesn't call for it) to help the "New" guy "Settle" it in.

Now that we've done that (I know it's a "Pain" but when it's done correctly the first time and all the steps are followed then we don't have problems AND we don't have to do it all over again.
    Once Nero is fresh on your system it should be "Happy" and not mad once again –

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  4. harklar

harklar Member

Ok...completely uninstalled nero, including doing the general cleaner, registry cleaner and InCD cleaner and I still have a major problem with one caveat. Now I can back up files in the differential mode, but I cannot copy a large file whereby the burn process stops anywhere from 12 to 24% into the process, hangs up, and never completes. The Drive indicates it is still burning by Nero never progresses. This is the case whether I am using the Nero Back It Up or the Nero Burning program to backup a DVD.

Any other thoughts except for uninstalling and reinstalling Nero?

At wits end....

5. Nephilim

Uninstalling the drive may help:

Go to Device Manager >

Expand the tree for DVD/CD ROM Drives >

Find the drive in question, right click it and go to Properties >

Under the Driver tab, select Uninstall then OK.

Now reboot and Windows should detect and reinstall the drive.

If this doesn't help try the same steps as above except expand the tree for IDE ATA/ATA Controllers and uninstall either the Primary or Secondary controller depending on which one the drive in question is attatched to. Nero Info Tool can tell you which chain the drive is on under the Configuration tab.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_info_tool.cfm

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Maybe this will help

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. harklar

harklar Member

Ok. Uninstalling and reinstalling the drive gets me to about 60% before crapout. On the DMA Issue, this is an external drive controlled by my IEEE 1394 Host Controller, so I do not have any option to see if DMA is enabled. Both the primary and the secondary regular controllers have dma enabled if "available" indicated in case that makes any difference.

BTW, it is a farely new Sony DRX 710UL

Any other advice?

At wits end, and just around the corner.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Jeez that info would have helped earlier. Your drive is working on USB 2 not DMA. What a waste of time!
    You need to make sure your USB controller is set to USB 2. You can do this basically the same way you were checking the DMA settings only this time click on the + beside Universal Serial Bus Controllers and your controllers should sy "enhanced" If not are you sure your PC supports USB 2, and if so you need to download and install the correct drivers.
    It could also be you need to install "Force ASPI"
    An ASPI layer consists of four files that 'lie between' various programs [software] and certain devices, such as CD/DVD-ROM drives and CD/DVD burners/writers [hardware]. Software programs such as CD digital audio extractors [commonly known as 'Rippers'] and CD-writing utilities such as CDRWin use/require ASPI drivers to 'communicate with' SCSI devices.

Many people don't realize however, that the files contained in an ASPI layer are also used in systems that *don't* contain a SCSI adapter, or SCSI devices .. for things such as ripping CD audio and burning CD/DVDs.

ASPI DOWNLOAD http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...duct/ASPI-4.70&filekey=aspi_471a2.exe&sess=no

9. harklar

harklar Member

I have at least one USB port set to enhanced. I installed the ASPI stuff, all to no avail. To date I have:

Updated firmware to most current version of Sony DRX 710UL.
    Uninstalled and reinstalled Nero
    Uninstalled and reinstalled the drive, and the ieee device that controls it.
    Installed the aspi add ons
    check to make sure I have a USB 2 Port ( I use a firewire connection, so I assume that works? Maybe I should just try the USB cord?)

I have uninstalled all other DVD writing software.

My drive is farely new, and I was using DVD-R's to do anything Nero should be able to do until recently. I can create data disks and back up small sections of my hard drive, but when things get large, i.e. major backups or a DVD Movie, things always lock up and I end up having to unplug the drive from the computer to get my computer back.

I know I am missing something simple, but I am just old enough and out of the computer world to not know where to look.

At wits end, turned the corner, and am circling back.

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Fire wire would be the way to go much better than USB. Anyway have you tried hooking that drive up to another computer and see if it works on that so we can rule out the drive possibly being bad? If you do hook it up to another computer make sure you use the same cable you are using now. It is possible the cord may be bad also.. Lets give those a try before we change to much more OK ..

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

OK, I'll bite, what's the advantage of choosing firewire (which is slower than USB2.0) over USB ?

If you were talking about USB1.0 and for some reason you didn't want a card, OK - no contest BUT we're speaking of a USB 2.0 - so again, why would you wish to take the slower connection ?

12. harklar

harklar Member

Well, I switched from my firewire to my USB cord and it works. I may never know if that is actually the cause, but let it be known out there that if you have a second option for connecting your external drive when something goes haywire, change things up to see if that is the problem. Thanks to all who helped with the advice.

Harklar

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Hopefully the fad of installing ASPI drivers on Windows is about over. Programs such a Nero that may need ASPI have their own included. You can use the infotool to check that out if you wish. Windows uses the SPTI Microsoft interface on their newer OS and there is no need for the ASPI except in rare cases. Currently the only ASPI on my system is in Nero. I have a basketful of recording apps and codecs and my system has no problems from the lack of ASPI. I've encountered software problems and on a couple of occasions it was suggested loading ASPI would help. I loaded it and it didn't help. The problem was always something else. ASPI neither helped nor hurt. Several months ago, I changed hard drives and never reinstalled ASPI. As I said, the system is still working flawlessly with SPTI. Over the past year, I've kept an eye on the threads where it was suggested to use ASPI to cure problems. To date, I haven't seen it cure one problem. Don't get me wrong, as I said in some rare cases it may be appropriate. I haven't run into the rare case yet. It's not hard to install, so it doesn't hurt to eliminate that variable. However, don't be surprised if the ASPI installation doesn't cure the problem.

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I agree 100% with you Pete, but most people are trying to run there USB 2 device on a USB 1 port so it is usually safer to have them go ahead and use there fire wire connection to get there burner to work. I know that wasen't the case here and I am glad you helped harklar out. I have actually seen most people have better results with the fire wire, but again this wasn't the case here.
    Thanks,

15. Nephilim

I'd say one possibility could be that the Firewire drivers generally mesh with the various burning softwares better than USB. Just a guess :)

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

IMO the USB has as good compatibility as the other and more speed. The cost of a card to up a 1.0 to a 2.0 USB shouldn't be a factor unless one was counting pennies, But then, how could they afford to be on the "net".

As the USB 2.0 has been out for 2 years or more I wouldn't imagine there would be too many on current PC's unless the kid's are getting hand-me-downs (how likely is that ? It's the parents who get the leftovers. Lol)

Anyway, we have our young friend working and that, after all is what we're here for . . . .

Cheers all,