1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What media to use for NEC 3520A Bunrer for DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by CKY_2084, Jan 22, 2005.

1. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

I just ordered a NEC Burner from Newegg and its suppossed to be here soon. Im basically just gonna be backing up DVD Movies using DVD SHRINK. My question is what type of media would you suggest I buy for the NEC 3520A for backing up DVDs? Also where are some cheap places to buy the media in bulk quantities? THANKS

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

the good kind. Have you tried reading some threads on which media is good?

3. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Cky - Verbatim/ Ritek/ Fuji (japanese made ) Taiyo Yuden . These are all highly rated brands . I think any major brand of media will probably work well . I would buy a few of several brands to try and see which ones you like best before you buy a large quantity . BESTBUY/OFFICE DEPOT /STAPLES Ect . usually put name brand dVD media on sale every sunday so check the sales you can usualy find excellent bargains on DVD MEDIA in either format . And often get your per disc cost down to .40 cents or so in bulk -50ct. or 100ct. caketubs /spindles you can also check prices @ NEWEGG.COM for dvd media & computer stuff /home electronics & more many afterdawners only buy media from newegg! I have'nt bought media from them but have purchased SD cards -wireless keyboard& mouse and NEC-3500 and all arrived on time & at the agreed on price . you could also try google-ing on the internet for NEC's website to see if they have a compatable media list for the NEC -3520 yet Good luck -peace

4. flip218

I guess searching and reading was tough.

No multiposting.

RE: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/151068

Forum rule #1. Before starting a new thread, use SEARCH first (located on top of the page..) to see if your question has been answered before!

In my experience, it doensn't really matter which brand of dvd burner you have. I've used Plextor, TDK and NEC's and they all work with the same media. Good media. And if you do a little reading (I know it seems hard, but really isn't) you'll find out which media is considered good

5. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

Ok so if it burns a DVD+R at 8x (according to specs) does that mean I can just get a 4x DVD+R disc and burn at 4x speed instead of 8x or do I have to get 8x media and burn at 8x?? SORRY I am very new at this.

ALSO FLIP what are you going to do with 1.2 terabytes of HD space (5 HDs) man thats a lot of fricking space? And thanks for finally answering my questoin, thats what I was getting at is if there was a specific media I should get for my specific burner. But it seems TY is the best around here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2005
  6. flip218

Yes and no. It depends on the burner, firmware and discs.

I had a TDK 840G (a retagged Plextor 708). With upgraded firmware it would burn 4x media at 8x.

with my plextor 716 I can burn 8x media at 12x.

But with most burning programs you can control the burn speed. I use DVD Decrypter, CloneDVD2, Nero, and CopyToDVD ... all those programs allow me to set my burn speed.

7. flip218

I've read alot of good things about TY. I myself prefer Verbatim +R's.

8. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

In response to those looking for the NEC recommended media list for the NEC-3520 it may be found here ------http://www.dvdr4less.com/pd/ND3520ABR.html hope was helpful -peace now