1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What mod chip to use

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by RottenKid, Apr 2, 2007.

1. RottenKid

RottenKid Member

Ok, i want to mod my xbox so i can play my legally copied backed up games, incase mine get ruined.

What mod chipo to use, how do i do it, what program do i use to copy the games. Im new to this please help.

2. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

well first of all you need to get a bigger Hard drive

but its not as easy as just open it up and put a new big one in
    your going to either buy a chip and then follow a tutorial to install the HD(easiest way but not the cheapest)

or you can soft mod(which is free if you have the required equipment)
    then follow a tutorial on how to put it in a soft modded xbox which is alot harder...

but when you get one of those mods download something called dvd2xbox (google it) then you will have to download something called Flash FXP and that allows you to add and take files from your xbox through a Router...

then you would add the unzipped file of dvd2xbox to E:/apps then it is simple from there...

Here is a tutorial i made on softmodding for a complete newb
    its very helpful

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/489542

3. blake123

blake123 Guest

m0dnewb nice tutorial

picture tutorial:softmod
    http://www.teammodders.com/forum/how-to-softmod-your-xbox-with-ease-xbox-live-compatible-t2058.html
    if you want bigger hdd do this
    http://www.teammodders.com/forum/using-xboxhdm-to-build-an-xbox-hard-drive-t87.html
    or
    hardmod
    install guide best chip my opinion

http://www.teammodders.com/forum/modding-the-xbox-w-an-x3ce-modchip-t895.html

to install bigger hdd put new one in and then put in the disk you make auto installer deluxe and follow prompts.

to find disk search the normal places

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2007
  4. steimy

steimy Active member

well, it looks like blake123 beat me to a few of them, LOL

But i can add to that.
    1. send your Xbox to Teammodders.com and have the chip professionally installed and save yourself some headaches. The Xenium chips and Xecuter chips are both top notch choices, but you can save money and just get the DuoX2 GS. Most people will not even need the extra functions that come with the higher end stuff. I have been using a DuoX2 in mine for a few years now and it has done everything i have wanted it to do.

2. Now comes the hard drive. First it must me an IDE style hard drive, see this chart when you find one and see if the model is listed and says it works. http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list
    or of course it is part of the install options if you want them to do it with the chip. But installing a hard drive is VERY simple if you have a chip installed. Softmodded systems are a different story. i URGE everyone to just spend the extra and get a modchip. It is well worth it for the ease of use, HDD replacement, and easier recovery from any problems.
    http://www.teammodders.com/forum/how-to-install-a-new-hdd-and-format-it-using-slayers-2-6-t672.html
    that is the guide you will use for installing a hard drive in a chipped system. But get Slayer 2.7 as that is the newest version.

3. Slayer 2.7 will format the drive and install everything you need to have a great Xbox. It has various dashboards, Emulators and roms from all the older systems (at least Slayer 2.6 did), It has a bunch of great programs as well including the very popular XBMC (Xbox Media Center) for playing movies and video files as well as music and streaming music from your PC via Shoutcast Radio. It also has DVD2Xbox, this program is what you use to copy a disc to your hard drive. Just make sure you copy it to the correct place depending on how you set up your Xbox. It will use either E: or F:
    Mine i used F:, you will know which one because it will have a ton more available space compared to the other.
    another way is to set up an FTP connection, which you will want, between the PC and Xbox. This way you can transfer updated programs and dashboards when needed, also you can transfer games (in file format, not ISO) to your hard drive. YOu can also rip (copy) a game from your Xbox DVD drive to your PC to be backes up onto another DVD.

Just look through the Teammodders.com tutorial section and you will find lots of stuff, they also have a few good things in the download section for Xbox like Qwix, Craxtion4, FlashFXP and i am sure some others.

5. RottenKid

RottenKid Member

so it looks like itll cost me about $100, to mod my xbox then the cost of the HDD, that i send them.

Will they setup the software too, or do i have to do that?
    i just want to be able to copy over "my own personal collection", my friends ruined a couple of discs already.

6. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

if you are really worried about it now and thinking of getting that junk(the mod chip and Hard drive) then i would soft mod your xbox now before he screws more up then get the FTP connection to your xbox then put the game in and copy the game from your D: drive
    they you have it backed up on your computer until you get the chip and the hard drive installed.

7. steimy

steimy Active member

well the cip it $20 (DuoX2), the install is $35 and the shipping would be about $15 to ship it there (not sure if you have to pay return shipping)
    Once they do the chip you can do the hard drive no problem.
    you will have to flash the chip yourself unless you can contact them and beg them to do it. Not flsahing it is security for them since unflashed the chip can not really do anything illegal.
    You can flash it using the same auto installer disc that you need for the format of the hard drive and install of the programs.

softmodding is your option, but if you screw it up you could be looking at more money when someone not only has to install the chip, but fix the Xbox first. Softmodding is really easy if you just follow the directions, but you will have to own an original copy of Splinter Cell, 007 Agent Under Fire or Mech Assult (not the platinum hits version) and also have to have AR Max for Xbox. If not then softmodding is going to cost you about $40 for the AR Max and game you need.

To install the hard drive there is only one special tool needed, a Torx screwdriver set that contains a #10 and #15 (i think, read the tutorial i posted) You sould either already have them in a multi set or can buy one for pretty cheap (my car repair kit had them)