1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Mod to buy????

Discussion in 'PS2' started by jtfrisco, Jan 12, 2004.

1. jtfrisco

jtfrisco Member

I have a PS2 and am wanting to purchase a Mod Chip. I need one that will be the easiest to use (no swapping) as my kid will be using it so it cannot be difficult for him to use. I have someone that can solder as well. I have a DVD burner and all of my current games are of DVD format. Thanks for your help.

2. nutty_cop

nutty_cop Member

messiah 2 pro works fine on mine. dms is considered the best though.

3. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

I would do some research and find out what is best for you.

Firstly, the DMS3 is definately the best chip you can buy, but quite expensive compared to the others. The advantage is that it is reprogrammable (flashable) to adapt to new copyright protections (which occur bi-annually).

This is a good choice for those who can't solder themselves and don't mind paying a few bucks for the best knowing an upgrade will never be needed.

The Magics (3.1 & V) are good, but standard chips - which require upgrades depending on the copyright protection explained above.

The Messiah is a good chip - about the same as the Magic (not upward compatable).

There are various new chips now out there, but they are not very popular, and untested to the extent of the others.

Find out what version of PS2 you have (which also determines your options), explained here:

http://www.modchip.ca/help/whatps2.php

Check it out - shop around for prices and let us know what you come up with. We can recomend some cheap and reliable vendors, once you have chosen your chip.

Cheers!
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]AMD Athlon 1800+
    Sony DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW
    Verbatim Data-Life Plus
    Windows XP Pro
    Sony Playstation 2 V.7
    Magic V[/bold]
    [​IMG][​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2004
  4. j_ripper

j_ripper Member

***how do you flash the DMS3 chip?
    Do you need extra equipment or need to send it out?*** -edited

Nevermind, I found the answer....

It is flash updated by downloading the software, burning onto cdr, and running it in PS2.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2004
  5. zamsak

zamsak Regular member

It all depends on your use. If you are interested in the extra features of the DMS3 like stroing Appz in the Mem - Card then go for it. This can be used for MP3 and DivX without a boot-disc. There are other features like All region DVDs and Macrovision Off. But if you are not interested in those the DMS3 is just a waste of money. Go for the Magic 5 instead. It is cheap and kewl

6. jtfrisco

jtfrisco Member

Thanks for your Help. According to the document I have a PS2 version SCPH 30001 Version 4 = Serial Number begins with U4 which says that I need a Magic 3.2.2 chip. Will the Magic v work as well?

7. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

The Magic V is only supports version 5-10 consoles, so its not an option for you.

The Magic 3.1 (the 3.1+ are clones) is not a good option as it been preceded by the V for game copyright issues explained above.

The DMS3 is an option for you though (supports all versions) - the one that I recomend for your install.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]AMD Athlon 1800+
    Sony DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW
    Verbatim Data-Life Plus
    Windows XP Pro
    Sony Playstation 2 V.7
    Magic V[/bold]
    [​IMG][​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2004
  8. madskull

madskull Guest

I have messiah 2 pro,had probs to begin with. ie adjusting laser, but now it runs like a dream..

9. account

account Guest

10. madskull

madskull Guest

What me? v5

11. account

account Guest

ya ok a version 5 i have heard that people that have a newer ps2 have had alot of problems with that chip

this has nothing to do with the above i am not advertising i am just doing this to make 2 cents per click this will be on all my posts
    http://www.modchip.com/clickcgi/click.cgi?goodcheats

12. madskull

madskull Guest

@jtfrisco
    if you havent already bought your chip, go for the messiah2 pro.
    i have heard praise for this chip on many forums, works for me.
    plus my mate bought a dms3 chip and got his father to install it,(he works on circiut boards/and repaires them etc.) and it was very hard for him to do, so unless your mate is very good..get the messiah 2

13. madskull

madskull Guest

@ account.
    What are you plugging?

14. madskull

madskull Guest

@account. well, you got your 2 cents of me.
    And your website is better than the one i made.
    but im not buying nowt off you (lol)

15. dazz187

dazz187 Member

Get a DMS3... don't be cheap... you never know what protection could come out soon... and with the upgradable bios on the DMS3 they could most likely come up with something to get around it... where as a chip lacking the bios would be TSOL.

16. jtfrisco

jtfrisco Member

Will the DMS3 work with a Version 4 PS2?

17. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

Yes! - all versions

P.S. All versions
    P.S.S All versions

BTW - DMS3 supports all versions

18. 740lover

740lover Member

Can you recommend reliable vendors that sell pre-modded PS2's with the DMS3 chip?