1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Modchip to use?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by LarrxX, Mar 27, 2007.

1. LarrxX

LarrxX Member

Hello,

I finally bought myself a PSTwo (a slim one, not a classic PS2) so I can play FFXII and I told myself what the helle! Why don't I mod it? But the PS2 has been around for so long that there are so many modchips out there I'm kind of lost. Could anyonehelp me answer these few questions: Where can I find a good modchip comparison chart? Which is the all around best modchip? Is it compatible with all zones? All backups? Even Ps1? Is it possible to launch backups without a modchip and without too much hassle? (I breifly read about the Swap Magic method and it seems to be quite some work to accomplish, especially with a PsTwo).

By the way, I have a PAL system, if it's relevant.

Any help and guidelines would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

LarrxX

2. steimy

steimy Active member

sure, i may be able to make it easier.
    1. a modchip is the easiest and best option, but unless you are very good with a soldering iron and tiny solder points have it installed professionally.
    2. Teammodders.com would be a site in the US that i would use. They sell the chips and do the installs. http://www.teammodders.com/
    I am a moderator at that site and have had various PS2 work done and bout my premodded Xbox there.

As far as chips you can narrow it down to 3 choices.
    DMS4 Pro SE, Crystal Chip V2.0 or Matrix Infinity green dot.
    those will all do what you want, i have a DMS4 Pro myself and love it. THe first two have their own unique features, but all of them will do what you need. What i mean by that is this.
    The DMS4 Pro SE runs o a firmware called ToxicOS, it has a built in cheat device like AR Max, has an ELF (hoomebrew) file loader so you can load apps like SMS Media Player and others, and has built in support to run a large hard drive (which you would have to spend a bit more to get due to the fact that you have a slimline and would need an HD Combo case, and it is only for V12 and V13 consoles)

The Crystal chip V2.0 has hacked firmware available on the net, The only thing it may lack is the built in cheat device, i think you can download files to load ELF stuff, and i was told that you can download a program to run a hard drive. The advantage this chip has is that the team who makes the firmware is still active, which means that there is a possibility that upgraded firmware may be released in the future.

Swap Magic and a set of Magic Keys II would be the other option. It is cheaper for a reason, trust me. If you have the money to have a modchip installed do not even consider this option a you will just be sorry later.

and on a side note you need to look at a PS2 version chart and find out exactly which version you have. If it is a V12 you will need to have them install a laser fix with the modchip, which should only be about $5 more. http://www.mod-chip.com/en/ps2version.htm
    If you run into any questions you can always send me a PM and i can try to help.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  3. LarrxX

LarrxX Member

Wow! Thanks a lot for all the info steimy, exactly what I was looking for. The only thing lacking is the address of a modder site in France (but you couldn't have figured that out by yourself :) ).

[edit]
    Been reading a bit about the DMS4. What about the E.Z.I. version, does it work well? And does it stand the test of time?
    [/edit]

Thanks again Steimy, you rock!

LarrxX

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  4. steimy

steimy Active member

no problem man, sorry i do not know any sites in France though. UK, USA and Australia are the only sites i know.
    The EZI Pro (not lite) would work the same as the soldered in DMS4 Pro chip. The problem with them is that many people have had problems installing them, or they break them. Plus no-solder chips can come loose if your console gets hit or kicked or even the dog bumps it. So i really never suggest people get them. You are much better off paying a little more and having a professional shop install the chip for you.

5. LarrxX

LarrxX Member

Hmmmm, just found out my PSTwo is a V15. It seems the DMS team has been dormant for quite some time, so I guess the DMS4 is out of the question. Seems I'm gonna have to go for the Crystal Chip. As for the soldering, I've already modded my GC myself but I'm still not sure about the PSTwo chips, they seem much more complicated to install. Guess I'll have to go modchip installers hunting.

That said, I'm off to do some research about the chip!!

Thanks again for your help.