1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What org defines the rules/ standards for the package labels on DVDs and CD?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by wavestar, Feb 19, 2005.

1. wavestar

wavestar Member

Anyone know?

I feel consumers from lack of knowledge are being ripped, I’ll explain.
    I feel that it is every consumers right to know who manufactures, (physically makes) the CDs they buy.

Say nothing and you'll get nothing.

You can buy a CD from TDK, Maxell as well as many others and never know who actually made it until you take it home and analyze it.
    THIS IS NOT FAIR.

And someone should push the industry leaders to force CD labels to display Manufacture: ID and Media ID codes on the packedge so that consumers know what they are buying BEFORE they buy. When you buy a car they must tell you what engine is in it right? Money is not free and I don't agree with the rules on the way things are being done.

Things will never change unless someone doses something about it.
    You can do all the research you want, if there is nothing on the out side of the package stating Media ID codes then all the knowledge in the world will not help you.

Again: My question is:----
    What origination defines what consumers read on CD/DVD package labels and where the line is as far as what CD company’s DON’T need to put on their labels?

2. wavestar

wavestar Member

Ok, I just found my answer.

The organization is called-> The DVD-forum (inventors of DVD technology)

Thanks to zebraC from Speedlabs.org

And to my understanding, this is currently under investigation with regards to displaying the media MID ON the packaging - so you know EXACTLY what your getting! (even if this is only useful to the discerning buyer).

It's why that massive MID code database exists on speedlabs.org - for this very reason - so people can potentially identify what the media is before forking over the $$$ for it..

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  3. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

as far as im concerned, its not what the MID says, rather who you buy it off. Some bloke on the street corner is a lot more likely to sell you those cheap TYuden discs, that turn out to be some unusable crap with TY MID codes, than the large online stores.
    Also, while companies have the ability to spoof MID's they will be useless, whats the point of running dvd identifier or the like, only to have it tell you that according to its data base, you own the best discs available, when in reality you have rubbish that will be struggling to burn a movie let alone archive it for 100 years like they say

4. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Be reasonable this is world wide mass fraud covering every article that is sold for profit, from saftey pins to 'car engines.'

The culture of [get it on the cheap] and the greed is need, is inherent in our modern physiology.

Here in the UK we have a whole society living on the profits from, out of date food, re-labelled expirey dates, everything from forged razor blades, to rolex watches.

Meanwhile legitimate business' have their profits forced downwards.

It's not all back street traders, selling from car boots, this is a multi billion crime inspired idustry.

I have little time for people who buy on the cheap, or don't check the goods are genuine before parting with their money.

We all get caught legitimate goods prices go up, the forgers incease their margins.