1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What OS is better to run on my PS3?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by firmbiz27, Jul 18, 2007.

1. firmbiz27

firmbiz27 Member

YDL, Fedora Core 5, Ubuntu....I see the tuts for installing these, but does anyone have any opinions on the different versions. I mainly want to be able to run my emulators from my PC to my PS3, and I assume I can do this with any of these, correct? I read somewhere that YDL lags somewhat when running emu's, but thats why I came here to get some more responses and maybe a little advice on which way I should go with an installation!!!

2. stephen02

stephen02 Guest

the best version is yellow dog linuc, this version was made for the ps3. Just google linux emulators and download them through the ps3 or onto a disk or whatever, install and play the emulator, u may need a keyboard and mouse (usb).

3. gkmpb4

gkmpb4 Regular member

I actually have YDL but I havent installed it becuz of the so called iso loader is not out yet. Im a little hesitant to install linux on my ps3. My PS3 has the latest 1.82 update and thats the only thing I have done with the console. I wanted to know would there be some diffence in performance or negative effects from My PS3 if I install linux. Now concerning the emulators, I remember back in the day that emulators and ROms were popular on the PC and I had all the good ones. So basiaclly you wont need the ISO loader to play the emulators, right? iTs basically for when you want to play the backed up PS3 games that is saved on the hard drive. correct me if im wrong. But i may not be able to take advantage of the iso loader since I have been updating mine. I may have to delete some useless PSN videos and music since my 60gb harddrive only has about 20gb left. Im jsut overall hesitant about altering my ps3 cuz I would like to still have the same console once the PS4 comes out.
    Im looking to get a larger hard drive but I dont want to deal with the 3.5 250 gb hard drive I do have to be hanging out the side. And the largest 2.5 hard drive I see out there is only 160gb. Its a nice upgrade in space but not enough for me to want to open my ps3, as easy as it may be to switch out the HD's out. I guess Im looking for some reasurance. but other than the iso loader once its out and the emulators, and of coarse and better internet browser, what other advantages would you have by installing linux?

4. phantom62

phantom62 Member

How do you know that an ISO loader for the PS3 is coming out? There is no proof of concept yet, it's just a rumor now.

5. MidnightJ

MidnightJ Guest

Yeah YDL is great if you have a HDTV and HDMI cables.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2007