1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What RESOLUTION to use for pictures imported into DVD-making software?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by LaraM, Feb 3, 2005.

1. LaraM

LaraM Guest

Newbie here :)

Here's the scoop. I am making a 15 minute DVD slideshow presentation using ArcSoft's ShowBiz DVD software. Essentially the movie consists of 150 pictures with background audio and I will burn the file as a "DVD without menus" when done.

Can anyone tell me what resolution (size and dpi) that each JPG picture should be so that there is NO loss of quality/pixellation when shown on a TV or digital projector? It's also important that the resolution NOT be overkill either. ie: what's the best minimum resolution for digital pictures so that I can keep my file sizes down, while still having a good quality DVD movie?

All help is appreciated!

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

640x480
    Bigger is better.

3. LaraM

LaraM Guest

Thanks for the response. That doesn't seem very big at all. Printed, that's only 2" by 1.5" at 300dpi?! I am a graphic designer and am used to much bigger files than that....you sure I won't have any loss of quality at that size?

Cheers.

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Because a TV can only do so many lines of resolution, and can only scan a total screen so many times per minute, 640x480 is usually fine.
    I sometimes try for 720x480 to match NTSC aspect, but it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference.

5. LaraM

LaraM Guest

Awesome! Thanks for your help.

6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

I must apologise.
    It seems, it depends on your authoring application.
    I found this (because you got me curious too):
    720 x 540 is 4:3
    You are designing on computer where we have square pixels. TV has rectangular pixels so in NTSC 720x480 is displayed as 4:3
    Therefore to be able to design WYSIWYG we work with 720x540 so a circle on monitor will appear as a circle on TV screen.
    If we work with 720x480/576 a circle designed on monitor will appear as ellipse on TV.