1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what should I do next ?

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by UK_OK, Jan 25, 2003.

1. UK_OK

UK_OK Member

Hi,

I've a system running Win 98 SE, 600MHz Athlon, 27GB Fujitsu hard drive, 128MB RAM, nVidia TNT2 32MB graphics. As far as media players went, all I had was Windows Media Player version 7 (I think!) and GDiVX player. I had lots of video clips, ranging in size from a few MB up to 700 MB, mpeg and avi format.

Without a word of a lie I never had any problems playing any of the clips. I always used GDiVX player as Media Player didn't play the sound with some of the clips. Mpegs and avi's played no problem. I used to hear people saying about problems playing avi's and would count myself lucky I never had any bother.

I've recently bought a new hard drive. Installed it, formatted FAT32 as the previous drive was, installed OS, then installed Windows Media Player and GDiVX. I went to play an avi file .... guess what .... doesn't play properly at all .... jumps and jolts along. Sound is okay. Mpegs play no problem, so it's obviously a problem with avi's.

Since then, I've tried every codec combo you could think of. Even downloaded an avi checker program that tells you what codec the clip is and if you have them installed. Even when this says I have the correct codec and the clip will play okay guess what? It doesn't!

If anyone has any advice as to what is going wrong please let me know. I know you can convert avi to mpeg but a 500 MB avi would take forever! What puzzles me is how I never had any problems before, now no matter what I try the avi's play in slow motion or worse. I even tried the Nimo codec pack which is supposed to solve most problems.

I even put the old hard drive back in. Unfortunately it had been formatted so I had to install everything back on to it, but avi's don't play smoothly on it either.

Help!

Dave

2. spike1050

spike1050 Regular member