1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I expect to see when booting DVD-R with a Magic 3.1

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Talesk, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Talesk

Talesk Guest

Hi all,

Posted a few messages trying to get my blasted Magic 3.1 to work with my V7 PS2.

Sofar everything works. DVD-R movies, DVD movies, ps2 and psx originals, and psx backups...

except I cannot boot PS2 dvd-r backups!

I'm trying a few of the laser modification tweaks but do not know what to expect?

Which of the following should happen on a good system?

-PS2 games go directly into the game?

-briefly shows the Sony Computer entertainment bios thing, then goto the game?

-briefly show sony computer entertainment, then goto the browser, then boot the disc.

-etc...

Just want to know if i'm on the right track.

thanks guys!

2. finty101

finty101 Regular member

im runnin a magic 3.1 and it wont load dvd movies, ps1 originals or backups and often frezzes. is there a button sequence i can use or something cose it cost me £90 to get it installed and it has halved my ps2 capabilites.

3. benv

benv Guest

I just installed a magic 3.1 in my ps2 last night. I first tried booting to an original game and that worked. I then tried booting to a ps2 CD-R game. Again, worked fine. I then tried a DVD-r backup and although it didn't work the first try, it booted up to the sony entertainment screen like allways, but then the screen went black, flashed the playstation logo and the game came up like any normal game. It was great. Not sure if this is any help, but that's what happens when I boot.

Oh, and I almost forgot, I have to turn on the ps2 with the switch in the back, and then hit the reset button to turn it on, it if doesn't work, I have to turn off the ps2 with the switch in the back and turn it on again with the reset button. Took me a couple of tries but it works.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2003
  4. Timmay

Timmay Guest

I have a Messiah 2, but the way the magic and messiah boot are just like a regular game. Nothing will change. Maybe the magic is different, but the messiah is just like putting in an original.

5. finty101

finty101 Regular member

mine boots like a norm game on ps2 dvdr and cdr but it wont play ps1 games( original or copie), dvd movies and i cant load info from my memory card that is from an original to a copie of the game. also it freezes a bit, can anyone help?

6. Talesk

Talesk Guest

Please elaborate on your system boot for Magic 3.1 chip (finty101)

Does it pop you directly into the game (screen is black, then your suddenly in the game)

Or do you get the sony computer entertainment screen, then the screen flickers and you get popped into the game.

Or do you get the sony computer entertainment screen, then it goes into the browser briefly, then boots the disc?

etc... simply saying it works or it goes into the game do not help me much.

Thanks for your responses sofar everyone! Still not working but atleast I'm gathering lots of info/ideas.

---------------------------

Benv> Your response was helpful!... you mentioned that booting failed once and you had to try agian.

What happened when your boot failed? did you get a red screen asking for valid PSX/PS2 media?

What version is your console?

finty101> If I stumble across any fixes that may help you out with your system freezing I'll Private Message you.

Thanks again everyone!

7. finty101

finty101 Regular member

right, if i put in a dvd-r i have to start the ps2 from standby with the disc already in. it thens says sony comp entertainment and the screen flickers in to the game. sometimes the game doesnt load and im left with a black screen but reseting usually fixes this. i can now play everything on my ps2 except ps1 backups. the trick is to put your disc in go to browser and let the ps2 try and read it. it wont be able to but if you let it try for over a minute and a half the chip goes to sleep. you then hit eject and put the disc back in. it should load. i asked around about the freezeing and was told it was the chip wearing its self in and sure enough it only freezes very rarely now. still waiting on my ntsc to pal scart lead tho so im playin gta vc in b&w!

8. Talesk

Talesk Guest

Thanks Finty101,

I'll try that trick.. I doubt it's my chip trying to wear in that's the problem..

Do you ever get Red Screens asking for valid media on PS2 backups?

That's what I always get... no matter what I try.. I'll try your method.. If not i'm removing my modclip and installing the bare magic 3.1 chip to my ps2...

9. pookeye

pookeye Member

well i also found that v5 has a problem with magic 3.1s soo that could be the trouble. but over all magic 3.1 should bootlike a ps2 typical game.. and for ps1 back ups u have to hold the reset button and wat until blue light comes on.. and then it will boot. but v5 has trouble booting DVD-R with magic 3.1 works for oriignal DVD, ps2 back up cd, and ps1 back ups and ps1 orig. but not ps2 DVD-R... i never knew why but v7 works perfect with it

10. bodul67

bodul67 Regular member

I found that with my Magic3.1 to play my back-ups:
    1- Turn console on (Back switch)
    2- Press Reset Button to turn system On
    3- Eject Tray and place disk in
    4- Close tray
    5- Press Reset Button
    6- Play the Game

11. c7015

c7015 Regular member

I have the same method as boudl67 but as for the actual visual apperance

it goes to sony computer endertainment brick screen then cuts to the ps2 logo which takes you into the game

12. finty101

finty101 Regular member

sometimes i get the screen saying please insert a ps1/ps2 format disc but usually putting the ps2 in standby and then turnin it on works.

thanks a million pookeye, now i can play every thing on my ps2!!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2003
  13. nosferatu

nosferatu Member

The standard way to boot any PS2 game, either backup, import or original is listed on most sites that have installation info.

-Turn on the system with game inside, then turn system into standby mode by holding reset button until it shuts down. Tap the reset button quickly one time to boot up. This isn't a difficult process and works everytime as long as your system has been done professionally. I have done over 200 systems now and include these simple instructions with every unit.

-PS1 games, both backup and original games along with DVD movies boot in a different manner. Turn on system with game or movie inside and go to standby mode, again by holding reset button until system shuts down. Then hold the reset button for about 3 seconds until the blue light on the eject disc button comes on.

Simple enough, again, have 200 systems that work with these exact instructions with the Magic 3.1 and no unhappy customers to date.

14. hairbear

hairbear Guest

Thanks nosferatu! Your boot instructions for a Magic modded PS2 works great, now everything boots and plays!