1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I get/do?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by LordMiL, Aug 21, 2004.

1. LordMiL

LordMiL Member

Hey all!
    Due to a very busy summer I've been away from the PS2 scene for quite some time. After reading through the forums for a while tonight it seems that I've missed a heck of a lot! I used to have an idea of what kind of accessories and stuff I was going to get for my PS2 now that I have the money, but with all the cool new stuff, I'm totally at a loss! So I thought I would come here and get some advice from the pro's!

Here's what I have so far:
    Old V1 PS2
    Gameshark 2 V2
    X-Port
    TV-Tuner Card (I play my PS2 on through my comp)
    Home-made slide card tool

I bought the X-Port because I've noticed that PS2 memory cards seem to like to just up and die from time to time and I don't wanna lose my important saves!

I've attempted several times to play backups with the slidecard + gameshark but I never seem to have any luck. One time i even tried swapping out the GS for an original game disc and it still crapped on me, so I'm now looking for a better way to play backups/imports. This is where I'm sort of at a loss. Here are my thoughts, thanks in advance for your help!

Mod-chip: Seems like a good option. Only downfall is price. Chips themselves are somewhat expensive and although I have done a good deal of soldering in my time, after reading some other people's horror stories I don't know if I'm still willing to do it myself, so there's another wad of cash to have it installed.

Flip-top: Seems cheaper/easier than a chip. Finding good-priced tops for V1 consoles is a bit tough.

Slide-card: I think I'm just too stupid to get it to work right.

HDLoader: This idea really excites me. Not only can I play backups (by loading them to the HD through my PC with one of the various programs out there) But it also saves wear and tear on my PS2's laser (which already sucks hard) The downside is the initial cost for the network adapter/HD and HDLoader software. I've heard that there are images of the HDLoader software out there but I would imagine these would still require a fliptop or chip to load. The other big downer is that my gameshark becomes obsolete with this method, and possibly my X-Port too.

I'm not sure which of these methods (or a combination of) would be best for me. Can anybody help me out?

2. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

i think you should sell your ps2 to a friend or used game store and get a premod from a place such as norcalmods.com. i wouldnt recommend trying to solder your ps2 yourself because it is quite hard. i fried my first ps2 doing it.

3. LordMiL

LordMiL Member

Hmm......yeah especially after talking to some friends and reading your post I'm starting to lean towards a mod-chip again. I have 2 questions:

I've read lots of great things about both the Infinity and the DMS3+. What are the important differences?

Also, is it really that hard to install a modchip? For example, I've had a decent amount of soldering experience. If I take lots of time and am very careful, what are my chances? Is it really worth the extra $50 or so bones to ship it to someone else?

THanks!

4. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

oops double click

Last edited: Aug 22, 2004
  5. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

personally i have a matrix infinity and it works perfectly but i have also heard many good things about the DMS3 plus. i think it is worth every penny to get it installed. after you spend some money on a solder iron, wire, solder, static wristband, etc... you might as well get it installed and save all the hassle. keep in mind most of the points are about the size of the end of a pen and can be a real pain in the ass. you may also want to purchase a new ps2 since that one is so old and may troubles reading certain types of burned media.

6. LordMiL

LordMiL Member

Thanks for the replies Nelswick. I have a couple more questions, though. As I'm trying to keep the expense on this project down, I was wondering how well replacement Lasers work. I'm asking because I want to know if keeping my current PS2 and just replacing the laser when it finally goes sometime in the future is a decent option. That way I would shell out just what it costs for the modchip install now and then in a few months if the laser goes to crap I can just shell out another $60 or so for a new one rather than going all out right now.

Also, I'd like more opinions on DMS3+ vs Infinity!

PS. One more Q. I noticed that a lot of modchips say they have an auto-sleep feature. How long after you boot up does this usually kick in and can you change this time/turn it off? I ask because I'm wondering about using a loader disc like a gameshark or maybe someday HD Loader and then putting in a backup. Will the chip stay active long enough that by the time I put the backup in it'll still load properly?

Thanks again!