1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Software do I need and Want?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by bocko57, Apr 7, 2004.

1. bocko57

bocko57 Member

I am very new at all of this so your help is greatly appreciated.

I am presently purchasing a LITE ON 812 (8x DVD-R) DVD Burner. I will be playing the DVDS on a Toshiba SD-4900 which only uses DVD-R. I am using Win XP Pro.

I plan on using the burner to save important files, store my digital photos, store my 8mm analog videos (and in the near future organize them into a nice presentation both the pictures and video), back up my DVD movies and PC games, and perhaps back up my XBox games.

I was looking at 321 Studios software. I have heard good and bad. I am aware that they do not have ripper capability.

Looking at my needs, what software should I be looking at and purchasing? Now, I am on a limited budget so be gentle.

Thanks
    Chris

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You are in luck! Forget XCopy and discover the wonderful world of superior freeware. I would suggest checking out the Guides section here and read up on DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter - they are all you need to get started backing up your DVDs and both can be downloaded from our Software section :)

Whatever basic burning software that comes with your LiteOn should handle archiving your data and photos quite nicely.

XBox games are a different beast and you would be best served cruising through our XBox forum to get an idea of what you'll be up against here:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/58

As far as backing up PC games my hearty recommendation lies with BlindWrite5 - it is an outstanding piece of software. Our CD-R section has a wealth of information about backing up PC games and can be found here:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/38

Two very important things to keep in mind when burning DVDs:

1) Use good media like Ritek or Verbatim. The cheapies will give you more trouble than you want.

2) When ther drive is burning your disc do not do anything on your PC. Go have a snack or throw the ball for the dog :) Burning a DVD sucks up all your system's resources and putting extra load on it will result in a bad burn.

Now that I've typed your eyes off (computer version of talking your ears off) please feel more than welcome to come back with questions :)

3. bocko57

bocko57 Member

Thanks Nephilim

I truly value the information that you have provide me. Now I just need to order the burner and start burning!

Chris

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Well chop chop! Get that burner! Let us know how it goes :)