1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What software/media to use.

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by ORDIO, Jul 31, 2002.

1. ORDIO

ORDIO Guest

Hi....Ive just ordered a Pioneer 104 burner...and will be installing it under windows XP.
    I would be curious to know what ripping/burning software other users with a similar setup have had success with. Also what (cheap unbranded) blank media they used..Any other tips appreciated.
    Many thanks ORDIO.

2. Snowface

Snowface Member

If you would have read other threads and some guides, you can see that there are several programs to use and it depends what you like most or what doesn't give you a lot of problems.
    For me that would be SmartRipper for ripping, IfoEdit for stipping, CCE for encoding and Prassi PrimoDVD 2.0 for burning

3. Vinster

Vinster Guest

Ripping: Decrypter

Stripping: IFOEdit

Encoding: Behave! Put it on two discs if needbe and don't loose quality ;)

Burning: Nero 5.5.9.0

4. ORDIO

ORDIO Guest

5. neil_sue

neil_sue Guest

bare in mind you are using win XP and there are known compatability problems with ifoedit ( yes i do get them sometimes myself )

6. Vinster

Vinster Guest

What issues do you get? I started a thread on this but nobody replied - I am using Win XP and do not get any problems, other than I cannot burn an image direct from IfoEdit, but then again I don't want to either ;)

7. ORDIO

ORDIO Guest

What about blank media?....the cheapest I can find are Bulkpaq gen 3 (90 for £38.70) from (Bigpockets.com)...What sort of success have you folks had with these or other cheap media?..

8. Vinster

Vinster Guest

I ordered 100 bulkpaq last week (£66) and I have had 1 in every 10 success so far - however, I have just ordered a Pioneer DVR-104 writer from Bigpockets and that should arrive today/tomorrow. I was told by my supplier that the Bulkpaq are good but fussy when it comes to DVD-R writers, so the Pioneer should work great - will let you know the outcome.

9. ORDIO

ORDIO Guest

Thanks Vinster...Like I say I also ordered a Pioneer 104 that should arrive after the weekend, and for testing purposes opted for one of thier DVR 5 disc trial packs..I'll keep you posted on each brands results...But like you say it looks cool for Bulkpaq especially for that sort of money.....Keep me posted when you get your Pioneer.

10. donmc123

donmc123 Member

I just took delivery of a Pioneer DVR-104 burner from Bigpockets along with the 90 pack of bulkpaq DVD-Rs (£38). Not had a single problem with the burner and the disks. However, I'm getting problems playing back on my standalone Pioneer 525 and also some older PCs with Hitachi GD-7000 DVD drives. If I burn the disks with more than 4GB of data, the playback falters (blocky and stuttering) towards the end of the disk. If I keep it below 4GB it seems to playback OK. I'm fairly certain this is a compatability issue between the player and the media. I've ordered a small selection of more expensive disks and I'm hoping this will cure the problem.

11. Vinster

Vinster Guest

I too have just taken delivery of Pinoeer DVR-104 and I am using Bulkpaq's.

I bought the Pioneer becuase last week I bought my first DVD-R Writer, a Vivastar (rebadged Panasonic) and the bulkpaqs were not compatible with it.

I have noticed that the Pioneer takes longer to burn a DVD-R - I have done two already, the first one was very jerky/blocky and the second one did not work at all! Both films were ripped a few days ago, and both burnt on the Vivastar without problems.

Hmmmmmm!

12. neil_sue

neil_sue Guest

My issues with ifoedit are every so often xp comes up with a message saying "ifoedit has caused an illegal operation and will close" thats all i bother looking at , next time i will investigate a bit more. By the way i was going to send back my panasonic but after your result i think it is better the devil you know. Just received my 10 pack of datasafe-media 3rd generation to try on the panasonic these are supposed to work on anything , keep you posted.

13. donmc123

donmc123 Member

Further to my earlier post, the selection of disks arrived next day from SVP - http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk - excellent service!. As expected, the problems as described were due to media incompatabilities with my Pioneer 525 and my older PCs DVD-ROM drives. This is what I found:

I created an iso image of a really full disk and used this to burn each disk. All disks burnt sucessfully but I had varying success on playback.

All 4.7GB (General Purpose) DVD-R priced singlely plus VAT

Datasafe branded white top (£0.74) - 1x speed - Excellent! All my problems both on the 525 and the Multitainer went away. All chapters accessible and Fast forward \play worked to the end of the disk. I'll be putting an order in for 50 of these on Monday!

White Label (£0.74) - 1x speed - Wouldn't play back properly on the 525

"ICE" WhiteTop (£0.75) - Seems to be OK on both 525 and Multitainer but a penny dearer than the Datasafe :)

Datasafe Media (£0.97) - 2x speed - Problems with chapters and fast forward at the end of the disk

Choice Branded (£0.93) - 2x speed - Real problems on playback on both 525 and multitainers

Hope this helps someone!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2002