1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What software should I use to capture from a mini DV?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by demidio, Mar 13, 2005.

1. demidio

demidio Member

Hi,

I'm tryng to capture a video which is in a mini DV format.

My problem is that my video has 90 minutes and I'd like to make a DVD. So as a DVD has 4,2 Gb I need to capture using an encoder that makes a 4,2 Gb file.

I'm using Windows Movie Maker and it just has an encoder that captures the file either in 16 Gb format or 300 Mb format. There is nothing in between.

I'd like to know what software to use and if there is a software with which I could just put the file size and it would choose the best encoder to make a file with that size.

Thanks a lot.

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

3. demidio

demidio Member

Thanks for you help.

I´ve read those articles, but I still have the same questions.

Windows Movie Maker doesn´t have any encoder that makes a 4,2 Gb file and it doens´t have MPEG 2. I´ve already tryed Adobe Premier and it doesn´t have either.

So what software do you use to do that?

Is it possible to capture using an encoder? So the file will be small.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Well, what can I say...did you also read http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/basics/encoding.php
    there are several programs mentiond there that you can use to encode to MPEG-2, which is what you need for DVD.
    Some programs can capture directly in MPEG-2, but this is not recommended. First, MPEG files are less suitable (although not impssible) for editing (assuming that you want to do that). Secondly, encoding is a very CPU consuming process, so if you capture directly in MPEG it needs to be done real time, while the video stream is coming in. This maybe beyond the power of your PC and you may be forced to use encoding settings with low quality.
    So, capture in DV-AVI, edit your material (if required) and save it as AVI. Then either encode it with a separate encoder (like TMPGEnc) or feed the AVI in a DVD authoring program that can also do the encoding.