1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Software?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by BSKK, Apr 24, 2005.

1. BSKK

BSKK Member

Hi.
    I'm not sure if I'm putting this in the right thread, but here it goes anyway.

Is there a program that i can rip a DVD-9 dvd to a DVD-5 disc directly from my DVD-Rom to my DVD burner instead of having to putting it on my computer first?

Thanks

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

No program that I know of will do that. It has been talked about and is generally considered to be a bad idea to do on-the-fly burning. It can be done with unencrypted DVD-5s if I'm not mistaken.

3. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Yes... but not really a direct dvd9 to dvd-r[dvd5] unless your burner is a DL compatible, meaning you need a DL dvd+r disc to copy from a dvd9 then it will do a direct from your dvd-rom to your burner. The majority of people will tell you to use "Shrink, DeCrypter and AnyDvd" in accordance to their knowledge. However, you can still rip a dvd9 into a dvd-r by compressing and reading at the same time, then once it's done it will shoot straight to your dvd burner [dvd-r] without putting in your c: drive or hard drive first [your choice]. I'm not too familiar with other softwares out there besides "1Click Dvd Copy and InterVideo Dvd Copy". I, on the other hand, don’t like to go through too much of steps including the times of backing up a movie by putting into my c: drive then rip from there into my burner, thus those are the only 2 programs that I've used mainly. Those 2 softwares will automatically compress the dvd9 quickly then read it right away; once it's done it will just rip straight to your dvd burner. With that being said; it usually takes about 30 mins max and it's done. In addition, it all depends on how fast is your computer's burning capabilities (i.e. os, processor, and burner). In contrast, use what you deem you're more experienced with and familiar with the desire way to go.

4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

@alkohol: you do realize that even though you might not see it actually happening, those proggy's you use do put the movie on your hard drive, right? They probably just put it in a temp folder and then delete it after the burn.

As far as the original question, no I don't think it's possible. If it was you'd run into buffer underrun errors all the time and you'd get a burn that freezes and skips all over the place, if it'll even play at all. Sorry...

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

No chance, your burner will only wait so long for the information.
    The files require to be re-authored after the rip/strip/compress before the burn.
    The re-author cannot occur until the rip/strip/compress has been completed, sector information is totally different after processing than before processing.

In order for it to be successful is a PC with enough ram and processing ability to be able to keep up with the speed of the burn process.
    The burn speed is the end factor that all the other stuff requires to keep up with.............................

That is why on the fly copying is so risky.
    I am not saying it is impossible, but it would have to be a VERY efficient machine to succeed in this.............

Dual CPU's would be the bare minimum I would assume, and they would need full open communication and master/slave configuration in order to achieve it................I maybe wrong..........

A PC that could maybe handle it is fasfranks 'skynet', but the programs would have to be written correctly to accomodate that.......

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  6. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Squizzle, Yes.... I do realize [that 1Click & InterVideo - both I've used in the past] does make a temp in c:drive, but as far as I know it shoot straight into the burner right after the dvd-rom drive does all the compressing/reading. In addition, I've also used SHRINK and DVD Decrypter recently due to the variety of talkings on them programs. On the other hand, "SHRINK & DVD Decrypter" are the only 2 free software out there that's doing a tremendous job backing up movies, but it just take a lil extra minutes longer that's all. Roughly speaking, I personally think that 1Click has the best quality of picture when performing a backed up movie -- it is apparent that you can also trim down the extras, subs, other audio, and make the main title movie as Shrink does too.

I did not referred this to "SHRINK or DeCrypter" because I've used them before. I said; 1Click & InterVideo will rip straight into your dvd burner after it reads/compress. And Yes.... they both does read and compress at the same time according to my experiences. However, if you're referring to Shrink and Decrypter, then YES.... it does need all the waiting steps to get better quality results. Again, I must agree that "Shrink & Decrypter" are the only 2 best free programs available out there in addendum to backing up movies.

Yes...it is possible. If I am to do a back up of an already backed up dvd-r or from an original movie which I trim down some audios, extras, subs, and commentary that I don't needed and just back up the main movie, then YES.... I'm able to shoot straight or "on the fly" with InterVideo within less than 20 minutes.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  7. squizzle

squizzle Active member

The best picture quality comes from the CCE/DVD Rebuilder combo.

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I agree, especially on high compression backups.
    The best all in one program (ripper/transcoder/burning rom) IMO for vidio quality and speed is Intervideo DVDCopy3 (you will need anydvd or dvd43 on encrypted titles). It also works well on high compression levels.

I don't have any problems with on the fly copying since both my dvdrw's are on seperate IDE channels and my hdd's are SATA although I very seldom do this to ensure less write errors.

9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Well, if we are referring to 'on the fly' copying then of course.............

10. squizzle

squizzle Active member

yeah, I can burn at 8x on the fly without a problem and I've got both drives on seperate IDE channels with a SATA hard drive. It's great!

11. d2west

d2west Member

I was able to burn a DVD9 to DVD5 kind of "on-the-fly" (at least without using my HDD) by ripping from my computer's optical drive to my external drive using DVDShrink. After that I burned back to my computer drive to get the final copy. In my external drive I used a DVD+RW disc so that I would be able to format it again after the burn to use for other movie backups.

The reason this is important to me is b/c I only have 13GB left on my HDD (30 total). Eventually I won't be able to rip to my C drive anymore. So I find that this method works well if you don't want to rip to a hard drive.

The problem that I'd like to have solved though would be burning DVD9 to DVD9 DL on-the-fly. The method I've used above would not work since I'd have to waste 2 DVD DL discs on every burn. At $7 a pop it's to much just for a backup and they haven't come out with DL RW formats. If anyone could give me some suggestions that'd be great.

I know Nero does drive to drive on-the-fly copies but it has legal copyright limitations. Is there another program out there that can burn on-the-fly.

I tried just doing a ripped copy to the external drive (DVD9 to DVD5 using DVDShrink), but even though I preformatted the disk (DLA) and ripped it to a VIDEO_TS folder, it still didn't work on my stand alone DVD player (though it works on my computer)

12. badass31

badass31 Member

hi try using dvdfab gold dowmload from site trial version, let me know if it works for u.

13. DaisyLin

DaisyLin Member

14. YOBUZZB

YOBUZZB Regular member

Just follow the first few posts. They've got it right.