1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What speed am I actually burning at?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by alsie, Feb 15, 2005.

1. alsie

alsie Guest

OK, I use Shrink and burn with Nero. Have a Pioneer DVR108 and when go to my computer to Pioneer Drive - to properties and recording speed I haxe it checked to 2X - applied it -close it down - And go to Shrink there is no way (that I've found) to set a burn speed and it is set to use Nero. Neros lowest speed is 4X - If set at 4X who rules the speed Nero states or what I set my drive at???I prefer shrink but use XPress at times so I am under the impression that Xpress writes at whatever I have my drive set to.If I have put this in the wrong forum please change. Thanks in advance.

2. wild77

wild77 Guest

You can set the burn speed in Shrink when you hit the back up button the backup DVD window opens click on the burn settings tab.This will set the speed used by Shrink/Nero.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Who rules the speed Nero states? Your burner's firmware. Using that backup options in dvd shrink,"burn settings" tab, the speeds that you can burn at are displayed.

The firmware will tell nero how fast,slow,or all the different speed increments it will burn to that media.It all comes down to that code on your blank media.

4. alsie

alsie Guest

In other words the setting on Nero is God and rules even though setting on burner itself is set to 2X to burn. Nero goes to 4X as the lowest setting. I use Taiyo 8X's. Reason for wanting low write is that I have a upconverting player to HDTV and it seems as a high burn rate causes freezing during playing but using a low burn eliminates freeze. High burn rate on a disc and then played in a regular progressive scan player gets no freeze.Thanks for the help.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Those ty's are the best, sounds like your firmware won't allow you to slow it down much. I get many different variations of burn speeds with sony +1-8x,made by ty. I can get:2.4/4/8/12/16x out of them.That's why I can't let my burnspeed on dvd shrink left on max. I have burned them at 16x by mistake,but they still look great.

The media I use the most and won't let me burn over 4x and let me burn as low as 1x are maxell -4x yellotops.

You can try to update your pioneer burner's firmware.
    You can also try out a small pack of maxell's.They may allow you to burn slower.All their manufacturers are very reliable.
    Good Luck

6. alsie

alsie Guest

Saugmon - thanks for info - Only reason I wanted to try and burn at the low rate was due to the upconverting player - very frustrating to watch a movie on the big TV and be almost through it and get a stoppage or freezing. Disc will not do it in another player.I have found a lower burn eliminates the problem and would like to try a burn at 2X. Updates on firmware are making it speed up for dual layer burning. Thanks for your help.