1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What speed ?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cabmanuk, Mar 11, 2005.

1. bikekid8

bikekid8 Regular member

i burn my dvd's at 8x on extremely cheap dvd+r's ($5 for a 40 pack of Teons) and i havnt had any disk read errors, does it just give disk read errors or does it kill the quality too? i dont think i have ever burned a dvd+r at less than 8X, because these are my first disks and i havnt had a problem yet!

2. bruce500

bruce500 Guest

This is a truly fundamental 'newbie' question, given that I have been editing and burning video successfully for some time, using a hp 300n, Video Shrink, DVD Decrypter, TMPGen and now, thanks to a multitude of good advice here, have switched over to Taiyo-Yuden (50 T02s just arrived), though previously Maxwell and yes, the even dreaded Memorex produced results that looked good. My question is this: Since the T-Ys are 8X, I thought I would try a higher speed than what seems to be the default 2X. Searching all over the place, I can't see where I alter the burn setting. Obviously I am missing something.

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

bruce_500,
    If you are using DVD Decrypter in the ISO write mode, then the burn speed is set at the lower right corner of the program.

cougar_ii,
    Idon't know if this will help at all but you may want to look at this..Decrypter in iso write mode:
    There is a small "book" icon to the right of the speed setting menu that opens the book type setting window. If your drive is listed, you can change the book type to the type of media you are using. I do not know if these changes will stay where you set them when switching programs...

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@bruce500 - in addition to fasfranks's reply, maybe your firmware is out of date.

@bbmayo - i've edited my replies, i was having a real bad day and it must have overflowed onto this thread; soz won't happen again

5. bruce500

bruce500 Guest

Thanks to Fasfrank and DVD Decrypter for providing me with some answers and a welcome laugh. Being a recovering analog kind of guy, it hadn't occurred to me that burn speed settings would be external to the hardware here at home. I had overlooked the Decrypter setting, since it just said 'Max.' So I learned something. And then, when I clicked on the previously overlooked book icon, I didn't find my hp 300n, but did get the message: "If you don't know what you're doing, just click OK." I loudly laughed. Wonder if TMPGEN has something similar.

6. creaky

@bruce500 - lmao, did you think there was a burn speed switch knob or dial on your PC !!

not really.. :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  7. bruce500

bruce500 Guest

Gee, uh, Creaky, I think settings and preferences for what you want hardware to do aren't unheard of, but gosh, I guess your knowledge and experience trump mine.

8. creaky

aw come one !, I was joking along with your previous reply.

i'm from the days of paper tape & punch card & open reel tapes and mainframes; the last 5yrs in Unix, so my pc knowledge isn't as sharp as it used to be. But i like to keep my hand in by participating on these forums.

:)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  9. bruce500

bruce500 Guest

Creaky: Being of approximately the same vintage, I suppose I could be nostalgic for the 'good old days' when pros like you took care of these headaches and we never had to call Mumbai for tech assistance, but I'm not. The exercise is good for the brain if often frustrating. I sure pay tribute to the folks who glued the GUI onto Unix and made it available to non-math majors. While I used to think I knew some up to date practical stuff about video editing etc., much of that went out the window in the 90s. Fortunately, thinking up creative applications is still the province of humans (at least as far as I know.) And as far as that speed control goes, why not a big throttle? That's what I would like to do to various portions of my computer from time to time.

10. creaky

@bruce500 - sorry if you thought i wasn't joking. Also, now i'm more awake, i realise my own pc has a speed dial - http://www.silentpcreview.com/article100-page2.html, though i turned it off when i bought the case as i know AMD cpu's exhibit temperatures similar to my frying pan!, never mind cranking them up..

this is how forgetful i am, i have a speed dial and forgot i had it :(

11. ILHS86

ILHS86 Regular member

I am a firm believer in Memorex and Sony - I have been using the Memorex from day one ( tried HP's they sucked) I have yet to have a dvd skip or have problems burning to them, Sony is just as good, Heck I can even burn on TEON and @ $5.00 for 25 and have no problems, I am burning on a simple HP 300I with a HP Pavilion 533 which all is 3 yrs old. So as they say try CHEAP (and if it doesnt work) keep going up!