1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what the heck is this 8x HCMEDIA?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by teoleo, Dec 13, 2004.

1. teoleo

teoleo Member

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

*moved from DVD-R newbies*

3. HaiTac

HaiTac Member

teoleo, i think they are CMC manufactured.

4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Although people talk bad about CMC ... I myself have used the TDK 4x +R brand alot, which have the CMC media code and have not had any problems. Backups made a year ago still work. Don't get me wrong I do prefer getting media with the MCC media code, but just wanted to put my 2 cents in about the TDK disc I use that have the CMC media code. These discs do have the deep purple dye.

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

flip,
    You are correct. Most of the CMC media that is -R is bad, but almost all of the +R CMC manufactured disk's are pretty damned good. Thats kind of wierd but I have come to find this very very true. Even the dreaded memorex eveyone talks about well in 95% of those cases it is -R disks. I am not sure why the +R's are better, but they are. Maybe the kids that make the +R disk are getting .25c and hr and the ones doing the -R's are only getting .10c? Hell who knows I just know the +'s seem to be better.. :)

As far as this media goes I am really not sure about it. You could try them buy as little as possible and if they work good for you then you will be good to go. If not sell them to one of your buddies for double what you paid ;-)

Good Luck, and if you do get them let us know how they work

[​IMG]

6. tomripley

tomripley Member

I've never heard of it, but the price doesn't seem all that good. For a few cents more you can get branded, high-quality media (like Taiyo Yuden at $0.48), so why take a risk on this?

CMC can make very good DVD-R media when they need to, as they manufacture plenty of just that for Verbatim.

Well, there's also the (rather important) issue of whether the disks will still be readable a few years from now.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

That is an issue with any disk. After doing extensive research (on the web) I have come to the conclusion that if you store your media properly and take care of it properly then it is going to last 20 plus years. At least that is what most the experts say, but who really knows? Fact is DVD media hasn't been around long enough to really know 100% how long it will last, and if it dosen't last you can always pull the original back out and copy it again :)

I do agree that the price isnt really that good of a deal to take a chance with them. Unless your like me and just like to try everything out there to see how they work and can afford it :) I guess I just like to see for myself :)

[​IMG]

8. tomripley

tomripley Member

Trust me, cheap media can go bad a lot faster than that. I've experienced it myself (with cd-r's) and I've heard plenty of horror stories from others. I'd rather pay a few cents more and have one thing less to worry about.

In my case the discs I burn *are* the originals, so it's quite important that they're still readable later on. For some data I'm paranoid enough to burn multiple copies, preferably on media from different manufacturers.

9. teoleo

teoleo Member

ok guys,

I just bought 300 discs from them and will test them out to see what is teh failure rate...will let you guys know next week on this same topic..

10. teoleo

teoleo Member

I received my dvd media yesterday and after couple of hrs burning these hcmedia, i found out they are from gigastorage media...no coaster yet though...thanks god

11. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello teoleo, How fast are you burning those hcmedia 8x's? When I get different media,I burn as fast as they will allow to give them a good workout.How do they perform in your stand alone player/s?Later

12. teoleo

teoleo Member

Right now iam using 16x dual layer Pioneer DVD Duplicator and i set the max speed at 16x.

Using these media they can go up to just 7x and sometime 6x. Probably because of the price they are now :))) I burned about 150 discs and only 2 errors.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  13. HaiTac

HaiTac Member

is there such a media such code "GGS" stands for gigastorage?