1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!!!??

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by hd517, Nov 7, 2004.

1. hd517

hd517 Member

ok. i tried using dvd shrink to burn some of the new dvd movies, for example, i was trying to burn "soul plane" and "the day after tommorow". dvd shrink wont burn it. Its always either the cylcic renducy check or if one of the sectors were bad, keep in mind, these dvds are brand new. So i said ok, im not done yet, i use dvd decrypter. i try ripping it with that over and over again and it wont do it. i even tried reconfiguring the settings of it so that it skips reading errors and deletes the VOB's or whatever, and it still wont work. It gives me the message:W 20:36:42 Failed to read Sector 2076521 - Unrecovered Read Error
    W 20:40:08 Failed to read Sector 2081539 - Unrecovered Read ErrorW 20:43:53 Failed to read Sector 2086951 - Unrecovered Read Error. WHAT THE HELL DO I DO!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2004
  2. cynthia_

cynthia_ Regular member

Have you been able to use DVDShrink/DVDDecrypter with success before?

3. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

4. hd517

hd517 Member

come to think of it, shrink dvd and dvd decrypter has had this problem with all the dvds i tried, even though i only tried about 5? but i have tried "anydvd" and thats not doing anything either. my burner isnt broken either, i used it a bunch of times and had success with alchohol 120 and dvd x copy express, but those were only trial editions, i dont know what to do.

5. hd517

hd517 Member

scatch my previous statement about not working with all the dvds i tried, it worked with one of out the 5, a movie called jawbreaker, an OLD movie, i dont think you can get around the newer movies

Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  6. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

Do you have the latest ASPI drivers installed?

Matt

7. BeanShide

BeanShide Guest

DVD Shrink has been able to backup everything I've thrown at it including DL, I have up to date ASPI drivers installed.

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

hd517,
    I backed up Day After Tomorrow with no problems, hated Soul Plane(lots of nice T&A tho,LOL).

I'm wondering, do you have Shrink 3.1 and have you tried ripping with it? For some reason, it'll rip when 3.2 won't sometimes.

Also, did you try using Decrypter w/anydvd running and using some custom aggressive settings in decrypter?

Another thing, reading at slower speeds like 1x will help also, if your DVD-ROM won't do it, use your burner, it will.

Here are some settings in decrypter to try along with what I just told you. Try them all together and see what happens. By using a combo or all of these methods, I've only had one I couldn't rip.

Step 1. In DVD Decrypter, go to "Tools", "Settings", and then whatever you're using either the File Mode tab OR the ISO Read Mode tab and "tick" "Remove PUO's" - try either the IFO, BUP, PUO's OR the VOB PUO's

Step 2. In DVD Decrypter, go to "Tools", "Settings", General tab, on the bottom left it will say "Removal Method" choose "Aggressive".

Step 3. in DVD Decrypter, go to "Tools", "Settings" then choose the CSS tab, under CSS Cracking Method, mark the spot that says "Brute Force -> I/O Exchange".

Good luck :>)

9. hd517

hd517 Member

thanks for all your replies, im going to try everything everyone told me to do, and ill let you all know

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Please do, it'll be helpful for others having the same problem :>)

11. hd517

hd517 Member

well, i tried the different settings on my dvd decrypter and now its reading the newer dvds better, but now every time i burn my dvd using dvd decryter from dvd shirnk after wrtiting the iso, it has a problem the 1st time trying to burn, im using tdk dvd+r, so i dont think its the medium,but whatever, its better than not getting anywhere, and i havent tried Shrink 3.1 yet, i only have 3.2 , but ill download it for the hell of it and see what some of the changes might be

12. bigorange

bigorange Active member

hd517,

remember to only use 3.1 for the rip, not the encode. It doesn't have the new quality featutres.

Have you tried a slower read and write?

I would like for you to try something else if you would,

Download the free trial of Nero Ultra 6. Load all the update packs but pack#3, InCD(it's a packet writing software)known to cause conflict with dvd software.

Nero is good for the entire month, at the end of the month, you must reload and install it again. You can do this indefinitely til you decide to buy(which I highly recommend).

Then in shrink 3.2 click on edit > preferences > file I/O > check enable burn with nero.

Then in the target window that appears after you hit backup in shrink, choose your burner in the drop down menu under burn with nero instead of iso file and burn with decrypter.

See if you still have problems with shrink burning.

One other thing, before you start shrink,open nero startsmart, open nero express or burning rom, on the top right, choose your burner in the top right drop down menu just to be on the safe side....

Let me know what happens, we'll be able to narrow it down as to where the problem lies.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

BigO has it right. Shrink works better using Nero and you aren't forced to use only the ISO file system. If need be, Shrink can still read any ISO files you have on the HD and burn them with Nero. You just need to read the guide and learn the controls. Here is a good link for Shrink guides. http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php They go from the simple to the more complex. There are some interactive ones in there. I like the ones with pictures best. They're easier to understand.

14. hd517

hd517 Member

i thought it would have been better to use Dvd Decrypter, i was doing so much research about how shrink works and i gotta say, its a little confusing,(I'm not too good w/computers or computer terms)all i want to do is burn copy prtotected dvds. Here is what i knowor better yet, what i did. i open Dvd Decrypter. i let it read the dvd to an iso. i open Dvd Shrink. i let Dvd Shrink read the iso. i break it down to under 4.7 gigs. then THAT creates ANOTHER iso, and burns with dvd decrypter, is that right? thats how it works right?

15. hd517

hd517 Member

brobear, this guide kicks ass!! lol

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Does that mean it's helping you get the hang of those Shrink controls?

Here's how the deal works. DVD Decrypter only needs to be used with DVD Shrink in the rare instance that Shrink can't break the encryption. Shrink decrypts the encrypted disc and then transcodes it. That simply means it sizes and preps the file to be burned to the target disk. Then the file is sent to the burner program to be recorded to the disk.

The easiest way to record is just let Shrink run in file mode and burn automatically with Nero. ISO is something one can toy with and play with Decrypter as a burner. But for common use, BigO has it right (as I said before), Shrink and Nero. Some of the newer movies are encrypted with bad sectors and AnyDVD helps there. Unless you have something wrong, the programs work just as stated in the guides. Those quality controls may not be mentioned, so you can ask BigO or someone about those once you have the program running properly.

17. brobear

brobear Guest

Here are some notes that may help you understand the DVD recording process. It was previously prepared, so I didn't just do all this typing. LOL It's for beginners and I have no idea what you know or don't. So, don't take anything as being other than an attempt to help.

Depending on how new you are you may find this post I have prepared for beginners handy.

Info for beginners: (I'll mention a few popular programs, but there are others of these types.)
    Backing up factory DVD movies has 3 basic steps and a few things to remember. The steps are 1)Decrypt/deCSS; 2)Encode/Transcode (Fit to the target disc, shrink when necessary); and 3)Burn.

You can have one program that does it all, some programs do a couple of the steps and some only do one step or one step at a time.

Decrypting can be done with driver type decrypters like AnyDVD or with apps such as DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink.

DVD Decrypter is used to decrypt and rip files to the (HD) hard drive. If DVD Decrypter is going to be used as a burner, 2 important things have to be remembered.
    1)Use the ISO read mode to decrypt and
    2)the file size has to be below 4.37 (GB) gigabytes.
    If the file is above 4.37GB, DVD Decrypter cannot burn the ISO file to a 4.7GB disc. [Note: 4.7 is a retail designation for a disc; the actual size of a 4.7 disc that a computer reads is 4.37GB.] DVD Decrypter does not transcode/shrink files. File size is important to know and remember.

DVD Shrink can be used to decrypt and rip to the HD. Normally though, Shrink is used to decrypt a disc, using a temporary file, and transcoding the file in preparation to be burned. Nero isn't part of Shrink, but is the default app that Shrink uses to burn automatically. Shrink can also use DVD Decrypter in ISO burn mode and CopytoDVD can also be used. I suggest Nero, as DVD Shrink is already set to use it.

There are a number of transcoding programs, browsing the forums can get a lot of info on those. It's already been mentioned what they do. Just remember, simply speaking, this step is to prep the file for burning.

There are a number of apps on the market now. Due to laws, most of the popular recording programs now are trancoding and burning programs. These recording programs have to have a decrypter. With a driver type decrypter the program runs as though it was one of the older ripper programs that did everything. With the manual type decrypters the files are ripped to the HD and the file then has to be opened by the recording program.

Burner, or recording programs, are either incorporated into programs or are separate in recording suites. I mentioned Nero as it is a favorite on many forums and a favorite of mine. There are others.

So, remember:
    Decrypt + Transcode + Burn = Backup DVD

If you don't need to decrypt it or shrink it, just referr to the copy section of your recording suite.

18. hd517

hd517 Member

ok, im starting to get it a little bit better now. thanx for all your help, but im just a lil' curious, do you boot up AnyDvd 1st, before you even decrypt the files from the dvd using dvd decrypter or Dvd Shrink and than burn it? i think ive been doing all this the really really long way, lol. When Dvd Shrink cant decrypt the movie, thats when you burn it to an iso using dvd decrypter 1st and than burn it with nero or something?

19. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Nope,LOL, you're not quite there yet.

There are 4 things you do to backup a DVD. Rip, edit/re-author, compress, burn. This is what each app will do:

1-shrink rips, edits/re-authors, and compresses.

2-decrypter rips and burns,

3-Nero will edit/re-author, compress, and burn.

Do you see now, you need a combo of 2 apps to do the work.

There are various combinations, I'm trying to get you to use shrink to rip, edit, compress, and nero to burn.

Or you could get shrink to rip, edit, compress and decrypter to burn

or you could get decrypter to rip and nero to edit, compress, and burn.

Or shrink to rip, and nero to edit, compress, and burn.

Only a combo of two is needed. there is no need to use all three apps, unless shrink can't rip the file, then go to decrypter because it's a better ripper.

Use decrypter to rip in file mode in all the above cases. The only time you need decrypter in ISO mode is if you use it to burn with shrink because it can only burn ISO files. Even then you still rip with it in file mode because shrink will convert to ISO for decrypter to burn automatically.

Is this starting to make sense now?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  20. bigorange

bigorange Active member

One other thing, run anydvd all the time no matter what app you use, it runs in the background and does it's job. It doesn't need your help. You can change settings on it, but that's it. Just let it do it's thang. All you have to do is start it and that's it:>)