1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to back up my video files with?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Z3120, May 1, 2007.

1. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

I'm running low on some 8x DVD+R TYs and was wondering what I should use as a temporary media brand until I can purchase some more TYs later in the summer (which will be a long time from here to there). Anyone else used these 16x Sony [AccuCore] DVD+Rs (or is it a DVD+RW because it has an RW written on the hub Sony DVDs? I've used a few packs of 50 here and thereat most, but it was only until recently that I've used these. Reason why I'm worried because I would like something with a bit of longevity which might last a decade or few without the need to reburn it until the time comes. I'm basically strapped for cash (mainly a credit card -_-) and can only settle for stuff I can buy at my nearby store like Fry's or Bestbuy until I manage to find another job (got fired recently fyi).

2. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

I too use only TY discs and luckily i won't run low on that so soon because i've stocked quite a huge quantity,just in case.

You have Made in Japan Maxell which is very good media too,some people say that ritek discs are decent media,you might give them a try before you get some more TY discs.

Vincent.

3. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Sony's 16x media is very good. I've never had a problem with it. Made In Japan Maxell is wonderful stuff if you can find it. Most 16x Maxell I see is Ritek & from my experience it lasts quite awhile but then my favorite media is TY

Have you tried buying online with your credit card? Thats how I bought my last Ritek & TY discs. Don't buy the 8x Ritek as it goes bad (must have been a dye problem or something) within a year instead get the very reliable Ritek 16x discs or the TY discs.

TY 8x is cheaper than TY 16x but takes a but longer to burn which doesn't bother me as my present batch of TY (a silver/matte 200 pack)was 8x & I'm very happy with it. Finished the last of my 16x Sony's when took about 5 minutes to burn. The 8x TY's are taking 10 minutes per disc in my Plextor 716-A DVDR drive. Oh & I use -R even though +R is ok too. Some prefer one & some prefer the other. I started with -R & stayed with it.

If you don't mind slower burning there are some 4x white inkjet printable Verbatim discs from Meritline at $22 per 100 pack. The Verbatim Datalife Plus 8 & 16x discs are on the same level as TY from what I have read here in the forum.

Verbatim (94495) 4X DVD-R White Inkjet Printable 4.7GB Blank Media in Cake Box, 50, 100, 200 Pack

The online companies I buy from are www.supermediastore.com & www.meritline.com which both often have good deals on media if you don't mind paying shipping (instead of sales tax) & can wait 3 to 5 days for your package to arrive. I get 99% of my media online now. No need for me to rush to Best Buy or Microcenter unless I just have to have my discs right now (then it's only TY or Verbatim media) otherwise I wait for the online shipment.

4. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Forgot to tell you that the 4x Verbatim I found at Meritline is -R media not +R Here is the link anyway...

http://www.meritline.com/verbatim-4x-dvd-r-dvdr-printable-blank-media-disc-discs-cake-box.html

Would take about 20 minutes to burn a full (or nearly full) disc with those. $22 per 100 pack & there is a 50 pack available around $13 or so. The only trouble with -R is you can't booktype it to DVD-Rom like you can with +R but most standalone DVD players will play a DVD -R disc just fine.