1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what to back up??

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by celtboy, Mar 9, 2007.

1. celtboy

celtboy Guest

hi,what files should i be backing up??
    is there any other way of doing it but not using a lot of discs and what discs are best?(dvd-r,dvd-rw,ram etc etc)

2. rcrockett

rcrockett Regular member

Yes, buy a large external hard drive. =)

For backing stuff up, I would just use DVD-R's because they're cheaper than RW's, unless you're backing up small files every single day, then just keep adding them to the same DVD-RW disc.

You should backup any files that are critical to you. For instance, I backup all my school work on a weekly basis, along with all my other documents, and web design files.

I do a full backup of mp3's, applications, games, photos, about every month.

3. celtboy

celtboy Guest

thats ok,but if your doing that every month or so do you not have a lot of disc expense??
    and should i back up operating system files??

4. rcrockett

rcrockett Regular member

Should I backup operating system files?
    I don't think you should, unless there's settings or saved features you want to keep. (like log files for chats for example)

Do you have a lot of disc expense?
    I do my backups to a external usb 2.0 hard disk, and then back it up on another hard drive on my server. I only actually do complete backups to DVD-R's about twice a year.