1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do/get to lower CPU temperature.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Raiten, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Raiten

Raiten Regular member

I have a P4 3.2GHz Hyper Threading processor, ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard, Vantec AeroFlow Heatsink/Fan, and a Thermaltake Xaser III Lanfire case with a CPU temp monitor.

The monitor always shows my CPU temp to be around 58-60 degrees celsius, which i've been told and know, is pretty hot. I replaced the standard heatsink/fan with the Vantec one but the temp didn't change, i used the thermal paste that came with the heatsink also. I don't know what to do. It's not overclocked, no extra voltage is going to it. I have a Thermaltake 420W power supply set at the 115 option on back.

Could this be a faulty processor or something i'm missing?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. Raiten

Raiten Regular member

Well i did most all of that, i have 4 fans, 3 exhaust (side removable panel, front and back) and 1 intake (opposite side panel). At first i thought it was the temp monitor, but i ran ASUS Probe and the probe also says that my CPU temp runs around 57-59 Cs also. And my mobo temp is around 42+.

4. ddp

are fans pulling air into case or pushing out of case as you are about 10c warmer motherboard wise & my 2.4 celeron is 37c. is psu fan running all right

5. Raiten

Raiten Regular member

I have 3 blowing out and 1 sucking air in. Would it be better to have 2 in and 2 out? Also i'm thinking to getting different fans anyway, any suggestions for better ones? i have two 80MM and two 92MM fans.

6. ddp

try the 2 & 2 but use 80s for pulling in & 90s for pushing out & see what the temp is like before getting bigger fans. does video card have fan?

7. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

im running the same cpu as you and have found that the prescott core runs hotter than the northwoods do . there isnt much you can do about it unless you liquid cool it . i used arctic silver 5 thermal compound which brought the temp down 5c . that isnt much of a decrease in temp but its better than it was . i also have six fans and the machine still runs at 45c at idle . the thermal specs from intel's site show 73.2c for the 3.2e as the max while my northwood 3.06 is much lower than that . i dont remember what exactly it is . i think its in the upper 50's as the max . its pretty tough to burn one of these prescotts up as when they get hot they automatically slow their selves down to prevent damage to the cpu . ive came to the conclusion that there isnt much you can do with air cooling to bring the temps down . i have tried just about everything except liquid cooling to bring the temps down . i have tried three different cpu coolers all copper ones , copper aluminum , and adjustable fan speed coolers with very little difference . these cpu's just flat out run hot .

8. Raiten

Raiten Regular member

Well that's good to know, at least i'm not the only one that was worried about it and tried to fix it. Thank you for the info. Now i won't have to worry about it that much anymore.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005