1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what to i need to beging backing up my dvd's?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by magikman, Dec 2, 2004.

1. magikman

magikman Member

I want to buy a Dell laptop, Im really interested in what all i will need in order to back up my collection. I have only a few options to have a burner installed onto the laptop.
    8x max DVD ROM
    24X CD-RW/DVD combo drive(free)
    8x CD/DVD burner (DVD +/- RW) with double layer write capability
    is the free one sufficient?, either way, what software will i need to install in order to copy DVD's? Whats the best one?
    Or, should i go with an "external burner"? If so what type od DVD drive will i need, I would like to retain the original formatt of the movie, i.e. keeping all the menu screens, special fetures, and write them onto one disk. Ive heard a lot a lot One click copy, but also heard that you need a seperate program to de-crypt the encrypted. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Aloha,
    Ive heard a lot a lot One click copy, but also heard that you need a seperate program to de-crypt the encrypted.

2. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

Download [bold]DVD Decrypter[/bold] and [bold]DVD Shrink[/bold].
    8x max DVD ROM--totally useless for burning
    24X CD-RW/DVD combo drive(free)--only if that DVD drive also writes.
    8x CD/DVD burner (DVD +/- RW)with double layer write capability--the best option. just download DVD Decrypter
    Most likely the new DVDs are going to be DVD 9. But the older ones tend to be DVD 5. DVD Shrink is used to make big DVDs small enough to fit on one disk.

3. magikman

magikman Member

if its a double layer write capacity, can i write to double layer disk and fit those big dvds into one disk still? And your telling me all i need is the dvd decyptor? thats all? is it shareware, freeware, or a paid for program, im not totally against paying for a quality program, i want original quality, with not hang-ups, i will be using a work comp to DL all the programs, then transferring those programs to my laptop that will mostly stay at home, with no internet connection, so it would be nice to have it all ready to be installed on a disk that i can make from my comp at work. What programs should i DL to my cd drive to save?thank you for all of your help.

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You would need the 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) Drive to be able to do what you want. The 24x CD-RW/DVD combo is merly that a CD writer eith capability of reading DVD not recording them.

Second there are hundreds of programs out there to back up your DVD's. I would suggest if you are new at this that you give DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink a try. They are both free and you will get very good results with them. They are both also easy to use. Once you get those 2 figured out then you can venture out and try all the other programs out there. There are guids on this forum for pretty much all the software. Here is aquick gude using the 2 programs I mentioned above.

You can go from start to finish with just 2 programs and they are DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter

Get your FREE DVD Shrink, here

http://www.dvdshrink.org/

Get your FREE DVD Decrypter, here

http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

[bold]You may want to print this out now so it is easier to follow[/bold]

First, you should create a folder for your DVD backup before hand. This is the place on your HD where DVD Shrink will work on your movie files and DVD Decrypter can pick them up there to burn theme to disc. Try to put it someplace where you won't forget it - i.e. C:\DVD work\movie name.

Now open up DVD Decrypter - and under "Mode", select "ISO" then "Write" - under "Source" you may leave that blank as DVD Decrypter will find the location that DVD Shrink put your ISO image in all by itself. Select your "Destination" as your Burner - and make sure that the box that says "Verify" is un-ticked (This last one will cut down on false DVD Decrypter errors). Do that now. OK, feel free to close DVD Decrypter now because when DVD Shrink is finished it will open DVD Decrypter by itself.

Now you can place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner's drive (If you have two drives). If you only have the one drive, put your original in that drive now. When the time comes for you to put in your blank in either the drive door will open OR a message will appear. Only the very best media should be used for DVD Video backups. Remember that RW discs will probably not play in older standalone players. But I suggest that you use your RW now until you get comfortable with the backup process. That way we won't be creating any "Coasters" during our trial period.

Now, open DVD Shrink, "click" "Edit", and then "click" "Preferences" on this page we're going to select "DVD Target Size" as "Custom" and set the size between "4300MB" to "4360". We do this to make sure that we don't burn to the very edge of the disc. When using poorer quality disc we may have to go lower still as the dye toward the edge many times is uneven or absent. Then, under the "File I/O" tab "UN-tick" "Enable burning with Nero" then "click" "OK".

Now let's burn a DVD, "click' "Open Disk". We'll have to wait anywhere from 30-seconds to a minute for DVD Shrink to analyze your DVD. If you wish, we can edit your movie now. To trim some unnecessary items from your movie, you can "un-tick" some extra audio you don't want like the foreign audio streams, i.e. Director's comments. This will result in your DVD requiring less compression and therefore providing you with a better quality picture. If you would like, as I do, to get rid of all the extras and trailers thus compressing your movie as little as possible (giving you the very best quality picture), click "Re-author" then, under "Main Movie" select "Title 1" If there are additional choices, look at the time and select the title with the longest time as that is usually the main attraction. "Click" and drag the "Title 1" from the right-hand side of the screen to the left-hand side, under the "DVD Structure" (DVD) and release it there. Additional editing may be done by using the "Start" "Finish" controls to the right of the "DVD Compilation" heading on the left-hand side of the Re-author window. Now you are done editing, giving you the least compression (best quality), backup possible. Now select "Backup" to get ready to finish.

NOTE:
    If you want a "Full backup", that's everything on the original disc on your backup. We need to be sure that the "Full Disc" icon is depressed. There's no problem in doing a "Full backup" as long as we don't see any "Red" on the size bar at the top of your window. If you should see some "Red" on the size bar, simply "Un-tick" any foreign languages, Director's comments or DTS sound boxes until the "Red" disappears. Actually you can "Un-tick" those things anyway; it'll lessen the compression on your backup. (A good thing :) With no "Red" visible on the size bar we just let the "Automatic" (Default) settings alone.

Since we are editing our DVD, DO NOT TOUCH THE "FULL DISC" BUTTON. Clicking the "Full Disc" button will erase our editing work and reset DVD Shrink to do a full backup.
    It's now time to select Backup". Take just a second and under "Target Device" go to "Select backup target” once there, select "ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter".
    Now, under "Quality Settings", if it's SPEED you're after, "un-tick" the box which says, "Perform deep analysis" and "un-tick" the box for "Compress the video with high quality adaptive error compensation". This will give you an acceptable DVD backup. If it's QUALITY you're after and have some extra time to spend, "tick" Perform deep analysis before backup to improve quality" AND "tick" "Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation." There you may adjust quality enhancements. If all the boxes are "grayed out" that's OK, it means your DVD is small enough that little will be lost from the original. Good, now click "OK." Finally, where it says "Select target image file", browse till you find your created folder for your backup, C:\DVD Work\. That's it! Click "OK”. DVD Shrink will now rip compress and burn your DVD using Decrypter. DVD Shrink will copy your work on your HD while instructing DVD Decrypter to write your DVD. You Will not have to mess with your settings again.

I highly recommend you [bold]STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER[/bold] while this process is happening to avoid ruining your hard work. When the process is complete your computer will let you know. Especially DVD Decrypter if you have your volume up :)

That’s all there is to baking up your original DVD’s (that you already own)

Hope this helps you out,

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. steimy

steimy Active member

Yes, DVD Decrypter for starters. easy to use after you read a guide. Also i found Nero works good, it came with my Sony DVD burner, also on my Dell. DVD Shrink is another one i think everyone is using but i have not tried it yet. double layer discs right now are pretty high unless you find them cheaper than the $10 i saw them for. Another option is to use DVD shrink and take out the extra language and sub title stuff that you don't really need to cut down on the file size and burn it to a single layer, and much cheaper disc.

6. magikman

magikman Member

GREAT ADVICE KEEP IT COMING, I CANT WAIT TO TRY IT OUT

7. magikman

magikman Member

sorry obut caps Guys,
    Also, I left some of my DVD cases in the rain, Is there a place i can find jackets? This is the classic example of why we should be backing up out valuable DVD collection :). Thanks again for all the great help.

8. bluto1940

bluto1940 Guest

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Last edited: Dec 3, 2004