1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to replace in xbox?

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by jim55063, Oct 30, 2004.

1. jim55063

jim55063 Member

Hi, I recently accquired a non-working xbox from a friend. The xbox had been unopened so far. From what I remember he said that there was a storm and then the next day the xbox didnt work. I think he said it came on at first but nothing came up on the screen or something but I'm not sure. Now I have it and it won't power up at all, no green light, or red, or orange. When I connect the power it sort of makes a click noise from inside and nothing else after that, just silence. I cracked it open to take a peak and found that the fuse does have continuity. I researched a little and found that I have xbox version 1.1. I have come to the conclusion that I will need a new power supply and will buy one but I thought I would verify that with someone who knows what they are doing:) What do u guys think?

2. BR7

BR7 Regular member

If they are anything like computers (which mine got blasted by mother nature via my modem), my board, processor, and power supply got zapped. I'd say start with the power supply, if its a no-go.. will be an expensive fix

3. teknickle

teknickle Guest

If you don't get it working, I will buy it as-is.

4. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

Id go for a power supply mobo combo, can pick them up at decent prices on ebay, or occasionally other places. (also try looking for someone selling an xbox with dirty disc errors, 99/100 the mobo and power supply are just fine)
    if you got a mobo/power supply combo, if the motherboard you have DOES work, you can easily re sell it.
    BR7 has a very valid point, was it used for xbox live? or was the lan connected during the storm?
    if not, its unlikely the mobo got zapped too.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Ignorance isn't bliss.....It's just costly![/small]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  5. jim55063

jim55063 Member

No, as far as i know it didn't have xbox live and lan was never used so I am hoping just the power supply was damaged. Thanx for the tip on looking for another xbox w/no disc error, if it's not the power supply then I'll probably do that. If I did get another xbox for parts would it have to be the same version?? (Mine is 1.1)?? Thanks.