1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What transfer rates are you getting?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by smg7834, Oct 25, 2004.

1. smg7834

smg7834 Member

The first time i used my NEC 3500 I had transfer rates around 12k when pulling the disc on my hard drive. For some reason now, I only get around 4k maybe.

I have two questions, 1) what rates are you experiencing with your drives
    2) what can I do to check/fix the problem?

Thanks everyone

2. bruwery

bruwery Member

What software are you using?

My transfer rates seem to vary depending on the quality of the disk, but in general tend to run between 5.8k and 12k using DVDShrink and Decryptor.

Has your drive dropped into PIO mode?

If that's the case, check out this thread for instructions on restoring DMA mode.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/113373

Fire a message back with your hardware spec's if that isn't the problem - or if it doesn't help - and we'll dig a little deeper.

3. smg7834

smg7834 Member

Thanks for the reply.

I have a NEC 3500, p4-2.4, 512 ram, using dvd shrink.

The very first time I used it I remember getting around 12k read, then after than it starts around 1.4 and builds its way up to around 3-4. I've read that read or rip speeds or locked 2x, so I may need to flash the firmware, but I'm just learning and haven't found a good thread to show me how without possibly screwing up my drive.

I did make sure to put it in DMA mode, but that didn't seem to make a difference. It was secondary IDE slave, I set it to master, no luck. I finally did get it to burn at 8x with Imation disks, so I guess my RiData disks just won't work at 8x.

Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004