1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What TV for PS3- Yes Again I Know-Sorry

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by zigarum, Sep 26, 2007.

1. zigarum

zigarum Member

Hi everyone. Sorry I know that this is probably a repeated question but with every day that goes past, new technology is coming out. I just want to buy a decent TV for my PS3. Moving into a nice place and a fat TV would do me great. I have a budget of around £1000 - £1300.

I know Plasma's are pretty good for gaming but you guys are in the know better than I am.

Thanks

2. ali2007

ali2007 Guest

buy a dlp based tv, it is cheaper and better
    plasma is dead but it has competive prices though

3. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Unfortunately your "dlp based tv's" are far more trouble prone.

Maybe to you they are, but they (especially Panasonic) provide the best picture and are the most reliable sets on the market.

4. Travar

Travar Member

In short each has its strenghts and wieaknesses...
    To name a few:

Plasma:
    +you get more inch for buck (larger screen for less money)
    +it has more colors and contrast than LCD
    +practicaly instant refresh rate
    -lower resolution (than a LCD in same price range, but usualy the LCD is smaller in inch if we talk same price range)
    -tends to get burn-in from still images (but they say its less of a problem nowadays)

LCD:
    +higher resolution (than plasma in same price range)
    +no burn-in problems (or so thay say, but you can technicaly get burn in on LCD, just tougher)
    -low contrast (if you dont spend 5000$ on a super new contrast high LCD), which means that all blacks are gray in a dark room
    -lower refresh rate (depends on model but it usualy is 5ms which you can notice especialy playing games)

And another important question is: What will I use it for?

Plasma is best for movies and games, while LCD makes a great computer monitor (to hook up HTPC). But LCD is not so good for movies as bad contrast can ruin a movie which contains a lot of dark scenes.

5. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

I have an lcd hooked up to my ps3 and it is fine for my needs. Plasma does have a better picture although there are many more potential problems with plasma. You have the more common burn in problem, and the tv has gases in it. If the tv were to get shaken the wrong why you could ruin the tv. If you have it wall mounted and a professional doesn't do it then your warranty gets void.

6. MysticE

MysticE Active member

For one thing Consumer Reports in their December issue found that Panasanic plasmas were the most reliable flat screens and recommended against extended warranties as they are unnecessary (I'll have to remember not to shake it the 'wrong' way).

Silliest thing I ever heard.

7. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

@MysticE

I have read a few of your posts, is your only aim to dispute others posts and start fights? I am sure you know a great deal about HDTV's, but what it is point? Like the great quote goes, fighting on the internet is like the Special Olympics, even if you win you are still a retard!

@zigarum

This is a bit late compared to your initial query, but in the end get a tv that fits your needs, whether it is plasma, DLP or LCD. You have a lot of wiggle room in that price range, just make sure you pick up a trusted brand with 1080p capability (the one thing I applaud the ps3 for) and a fair amount of inputs. A little research goes a long way.

8. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Unfortunately you must not have read them, if you feel vague unsupported suggestions and outright misinformation is preferable... so be it.

9. tddk

tddk Member

Now you can sit at home and read reviews all day, or take it from someone who actually owns a few plasmas and dlp hdtvs...

I own 3 hdtv's as of today:

A panasonic 58" plasma
    Sharp 42" Plasma
    Samsung 50" Slim Dlp

and yes i have read every review on the planet, hence why I bought each of the TVs. As an owner of the BEST plasma on the market right now under $7000, I can safely say that My $1200 1080P samsung dlp blows it right out of the water. I watch all my movies and play both my game systems on it. Even if PS3 only has 1 good game, I still play it everyonce and a while, but the 360 pretty much owns the tv space next to movies.

So unless you own each of the tv's that you are reading reviews about, take it from personal experience, the new DLP's are truly amazing in quality and I will 100% back samsung DLP tv's. If you buy one, and you dont like it, I will gladly take it off your hands, as I need a new one for my game room and I will throw the sharp into the guest room!

Right now amazon has the same DLP hdtv for sale that I own for $1200, just go to amazon.com search 50" samsung dlp and bam free shipping!

Truly amazing how far the DLP's have come!

That is nonsense what you are saying about dlp's being less reliable. Come fix my old panasonic plasma that I bought 1 years ago, burnt out like a crisp. If anything the plasma's are far worse reliability wise...atleast with the dlp, if it goes out, you just have to replace a $300 part, not the entire thing!

10. blacGoku

blacGoku Regular member

sup guys i have a question . i am finna get a ps3, i was pricing TVs, and found a cheap 1080i with hdmi ports for 700 bucks . should i buy it and buy a 1080p later. im low on funds rite now

11. rhinogolf

rhinogolf Member

Hi have been reading this thread with intrest as im looking at buying a new tv which will be used for games and movies and it is the panasonic which is winning me over.I live in the uk and cant find a TH-50pz700u i have seen a TH-50pz700CAB for £2400 a TH-50pz700ped for £2000 and finally a TH-50pz70B for £1500 obviously all 50inch could any1 tell me which one is the best for value for money or as good as the TH-50pz700u cheers ps you lot seem to be light years ahead of us Brits

12. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Seems you Brits have different models available, but all those sets appear to be basically the same unit. It's should also be comforting to note that Panasonic Plasmas appear to be the most reliable sets out there. Although the previous poster thinks owning one is a good indicator, Consumer Reports' survey of 75,000 owners might be a tad more credible.

[​IMG]

For those on a budget (and willing to step down a notch in picture quality, reliablity and viewing angle) his Samsung DLP is a decent choice. Although this reliablity data is based on a paltry 28,000 respondents.

[​IMG]

Another interesting quote for those considering DLP:

13. rhinogolf

rhinogolf Member

Thanks for that MysticE: Now im in a dilemma cant decide which tv to go for out of the 3 panasonics i menioned which would you go for?? And since i have been looking have come across some stunning Samsungs.You would not think it could be so hard to pick a telly for our playstation 3.