1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what type of format is this?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Griffins, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Griffins

Griffins Member

hello guys, i have a question i ran into a format that dvd decrypter, dvdfab platinum and dvd shrink can't handle so i am trying trying to figured out what i am dealing with here. decrypter says unable to recover toc! and everything else doesn't work. any ideas how to get around this? it's a burned single layer dvd movie backed up.

2. Griffins

Griffins Member

hey guys, its says that windows cannot read from disk or disk may be corrupted or files not compatible with windows. but works great on my dvd player any ideas on what i am dealing with here? thanks

3. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

what is the file ext.?

have you tried cleaning the disk?

BTW, you should be able to just drag & drop, or copy & paste (if its readble) since there is no copy protection on it

4. Griffins

Griffins Member

thanks for your reply, but the disc is clean and there is no visible scratches on it. but for some reason this format can't be recognize by windows. and i can't handle it with any of the regular program so now i don't know how to possibly duplicate it.

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Edited for relevant content:

TOC is table of contents and the drive isn't reading it.

Here's a post by LUK on the topic.
    http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=79246

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Are you trying to read this disc with a burner? Some burners are not so good at reading burned copies. I had one like that once.

If your DVD player can play it correctly then the TOC and everything else is there.

7. colw

colw Active member

Think you may be dealing with a DVD sourced from Asia. Have seen a few of these that will play fine on a DVD but cannot be recognized by Windows. Think it may be due to the use of non-standards characters in the TOC.

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I musta been nappin when I read the post earlier. It's read a burned DVD, not burn a DVD. Whether LUK is right on problem media or the media isn't being read due to the burner, or the media source is questionable, as long as the Table Of Contents (TOC) isn't being recovered, the media isn't going to play on the drive. Have you tried playing the disc on another PC?

By the way, fasfrank is right on drives reading differently. I have a dual burner system. They're not the same brand and one reads better than the other. If you have access to other PCs, I'd give the DVD a spin on one of those to see what happens.

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I think the quote from LUK covered it though, All those things might fix it, firmware, different media.
    I'm building my new PC and just ordered a couple of new drives for it from Newegg.
    A Lite-On LH-20A1L-06 LS RT SATA burner for $46.99 and a Lite-On SHD-16S1S-05 SATA DVD-ROM, $17.99. The burner is a bit more than typical but has Lightscribe as well as being SATA. These prices are dirt cheap compared to what they were ~four years ago.
    I'd urge anyone who is serious about backups and copying to have a couple of spare drives. They are affordable and sooo helpful when a problem crops up.

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

fasfrank
    Words of wisdom. I suffer from overkill though. I have extra PCs with optical drives. ;)

11. Griffins

Griffins Member

thank you guys for the help, yes the disc works great on my buddy's computer so now I guess i will have to follow one of the suggestions posted earlier. but having an extra optical drive does not sound like a bad idea if I failed to get my firmave upgraded. i will give that a try and see what happens. thanks

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You're welcome. Glad to see you've got it figured out. With the relatively low cost of drives nowadays, getting another doesn't hurt much.