1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What type of format to buy??? Familiarity with Iomega Hotburn??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dvdnewb45, Jan 5, 2004.

1. dvdnewb45

dvdnewb45 Member

I recently bought the external Iomega Super DVD Writer and I really do not know what I am doing......if only it was as easy as dragging songs and burning an audio cd lol. Anyway, I have some full movie files on my laptop but I can only keep a few because I do not have a large amount of memory and the files eat it up. I'm looking to burn the movies onto dvds. I've searched the forums and I believe I've found the guides I need to do this, but what type of blank dvd would I have to buy?? It says the writer I have will automatically judge what type to use but I do not know what type to buy. Anyone know what I should do?? Also if anyone is familiar with Iomega Hotburn and has burned a movie from their computer to a dvd with this program, can you give me a little help? Thanks

2. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Hi,
    Relax...it takes a while to catch on to the whole DVD back-up game, but its a cinch once you master the basics.

I did a search on the Internet and found that your drive is dual format, meaning that it can handle both +R/RW and -R/RW. Thus, you are right in that the DVD drive will automatically write to whichever format of media you buy.

That being said, there are a few things to consider:
    1) DVD-R media is cheaper than +R media, and is more widely supported than +R
    2) Whatever you do, do not buy the cheapest brand of disc that you can find. Very cheap media is the cause of a lot of erors when writing DVDs.

My advice, head out and pick up some DVD-R blanks made by a respectable manufacturer such as Ritek.

Good luck...

P.S. I don't know what software you decided to use for backing up, but here's alink to a guide for DVDShrink, a free and easyto use backup utility for fitting DVD9 onto DVD-5.
    http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/dvd_shrink.htm