1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What will the 8th generation consoles be like?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by bunny_c, Jul 2, 2007.

1. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

Maybe the question comes slightly early but i do wonder what 8th generation consoles will be like.

The graphics on the 360 can't really get any better,neither on the PS3.
    The wii's graphics could definitely improve but i don't think that's Nintendo's goal.
    What can improve?

I think that Virtual reality will be next but maybe I'm being optimistic.
    In the 7th generation of consoles it was a competition for graphics for Microsoft and sony but that can't improve anymore.
    That's why i feel that Microsoft,Sony and Nintendo will have to come out with something revolutionary and very unexpected for people to purchase there products.
    A supposedly better 360,PS3 or WII would definitely not get my money.

That just about sums things up from my point of view.

What do you think the 8th generation consoles withhold?

2. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Of course the graphics can get better that what 360 or PS3 can ever can do. They can't put out graphics indistinguishable from an HD movie or bradcast. 100% photo realism is when the graphics can't get any better. It should be really close by the next gen.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  3. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

Unless there actually putting real film into the game i don't see how that's possible.

4. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

MS may have a fix for the heat issue by the 8th gen.

5. BurningAs

BurningAs Regular member

i hope by next gen- big publishers and such will finance studios to do total 1080p games, not just simple sports games. im talking like the next elder scholls in 1080p, or Halo4 in 1080p. It would cost a crap load of money, but thats why games went up to $60 a pop.

6. Memnock

Memnock Active member

100% photo realism will be possible. Graphics will continue to improve. There's no reason to think they wouldn't. Many experts feel we should be there within 15 years. I know it seems crazy, but 10 years from now current graphics will look bad and really dated.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  7. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

I'll beleive it when it happens.LOL

So from your point of view the next generation of consoles will just be improved graphics?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2007
  8. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

This is part of the plan for the PS3/Blu-Ray and is a definite possibility (in the future of course).

9. Memnock

Memnock Active member

It's hard to say. There's not tell what the technology will be. If I could do that then I should have a high job in the video games industry which I don't. I see virtual reality taking off without hologram projectors. Most people are going to want to have to put on VR headsets just to game in the house.

10. Yraen

Yraen Guest

I say peek at high end desktop gaming computers and take a wild guess:

Multi-di, multi-proc setups, perhaps with a Crossfire/SLI equivalent and craploads of active memory with another three or four years for development and improvement and the fact that the HD deadline will have come and gone and I can see something fairly close to photoreality in games, not to mention such goodies as knock-offs of the PhysX card for added reality and the Wii nunchuck for the grin factor.
    As for VR, that technology could have been developed years ago. It hasn't been because people simply aren't keen on sticking a helmet on their head--most find it isolating, disorienting, and weird. Personally, I like the whole sci-fi feel of VR. I used to have VR goggles for my Voodoo card, but most people who tried them out couldn't stand them.
    As the Wii nunchuck proved, another place the console could really use improvement is in its controls. Twitch is king, especially now, with everything going online/multiplayer, and thumbsticks just don't cut it. If consoles really want to compete as gaming systems, especially in FPS games, they need something comparable to the keybard+mouse model.

11. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Oh, hell no. I study 3d modeling, and I can tell you, what with time and hardware constraints, they are a very, very long way of that sort of quality.

Just to create one character model of %100 photo realism would take a incredulously long amount of time; couple to that the time and skill it would take for accompanying textures and mapping, and you've got one single model that would require both a ridiculous amount of time and an amazing bunch of GFX artists to accomplish.

And of course, if you have one, it'd only be right to emulate that level of quality all throughout the game both with other models, lighting, animation and particle effects, which would mean the game itself would take years upon years to develop to anywhere near completion.

How are they going to do something like that? Do you mean actually integrated as in the graphics themselves or just random things, like a TV set in game might display true to real video?

VR technology is always in development, has been for years and years now, albeit not primarily for a gaming format. I heard of that is being researched and developed for games in which it reads a certain wave pattern in your thoughts to provide reactions in game. In sounded fairly cool, but then I also heard that in some shooting games, as an alternative for a trigger, you bite down on a sensor pad located near your mouth.

Pretty weird, eh? A farcry from the controllers, mouses (or is that mice?) and keyboards we've become so accustomed to.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  12. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

Which companys currently work on VR products?

Biting down on a sensor doesn't sound very realistic.

I think that whatever happens Sony,Nintendo and Microsoft are going to have to come out with something impressive to attract people into buying there systems.
    Am i alone thinking this?

When you look at the first consoles to ever come out and the ones we have today ,the improvement is minimal,Graphics seem to be the only real improvement.

People may say that the Wii is different but honestly, i don't believe
    so.

I'd be extremely disappointed if the 8th gen systems where just improved graphics or any other small improvement.

13. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

WTF Why are you even thinking next gen consoles whats wrong with people. I mean i have yet to buy a game thats even worth 60.00
    I guess thats okay thou caues i refuse to buy another console
    Next gen im quiting gaming cosoles they have done nothing more than put a bad tast in my mouth. oh those of you that think that when and if formatte war ends and blue ray wins just to let you know BR is crippling i have had to many problims with it and thats with movies.
    Three diffrent copy protection schems on both the new formats is whats hiking the price you got to have decoder chips and a inter net connection to update those New beta encyption chips. its just getting out of some people's Pay stub range.

14. Yraen

Yraen Guest

No offense, but what the hell else did you think would happen when you jumped on the bandwagon when it was fresh out of the gate? BR is still in its infancy, and until it grows up, you're going to have to deal with the problems you signed up for by buying in early. Personally, I'm going to wait a year or two before I buy a PS3, to give them time to get their acts together, lower production costs (on units as well as movies/games), and to work out a few of the nastier bugs; same goes for buying a 360. For now, I'll stick with my trusty modded xbox and my PC for gaming, and maybe get a Wii if I feel that next-gen (or rather this-gen) itch. The Wii might be sh*t for graphics, but it is comparitively cheap and reasonably stable and should keep me sated until Sony and MS work their various birthing pangs out.

15. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Best comment by far!!

16. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

I couldn't name any of the top of my head, but look around: there's always heaps of companies developing it. It's a worthwhile endeavor for some industries.

Lol. Yeah, I know. I thought it sounded pretty lame.

Yes and no. Sure, the Wii will attract a certain niche in the audience with it's controllers and gameplay, but in the end, people like games, and so they'll continue buying the consoles no matter what.

Nah. Don't forget how far we've come in terms of animation. First it was just two or three different states for characters, and now look: with motion capture technology, game devs can accurately emulate real life animation to a state of almost perfection. AI is another thing which has come a very, very long way. Dynamics and physics also, something which I think a lot of people tend to overlook, has improved dramatically. Gameplay itself is greatly enhanced by all said improvements in the other areas.

I think the main thing that suffers with the emphasis on improving graphics would be the stories presented within games. Sure, great graphics like those featured in Gears of War, Ghost Recon, Crysis, etc. are great and all, but I'd trade all that for a game with as much longevity and as much a complex and deep a storyline as ChronoTrigger on the SNES any day.

17. Kam83

Kam83 Guest

Hopefully they will be silent!

18. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

For me it's not so much the storyline it's more about how complete the game is.
    Complete meaning the amount of missions, the size of maps...